Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

p965 chipset question

• Please log in to reply

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I'm looking at some motherboards, Intel's web site says the new P965 chipset that supports core 2 duo also supports my lga775 socket (800 seriel bus) as well as the Core2 Duo 2.93 ghz (good for futre processor upgrade right?), but what is the actual socket for Core 2 duo? :whistling: :blink:
I'm missing something here. Probably a stupid question. :help:

Edited by sarahw, 10 June 2006 - 11:15 AM.

Advertisements

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I'm looking at some motherboards, Intel's web site says the new P965 chipset that supports core 2 duo also supports my lga775 socket (800 seriel bus) as well as the Core2 Duo 2.93 ghz (good for futre processor upgrade right?), but what is the actual socket for Core 2 duo? :whistling: :blink:
I'm missing something here. Probably a stupid question. :help:

Intel is producing new processors called the "Conroe" cpu and it will be released soon sometime. It runs on the current socket Lga 775 and they also call them core 2 duo.. Merom will be the mobile chip..

They are also making Intel Core2 Extreme processor at speeds of 2.93GHz in July, and a faster 3.2GHz version In the later quarters of this year but the extreme cpu's are expensive.

$530, $316, $224 and $183 for the E6700, E6600, E6400 and E6300, Intel conroe processors.

The intel conroe E6700 and the E6600 are the better chips both with 4MB cache.. The E6600 will be the best overall price and the best bang for you buck even competing with the amd prices and it is still faster than the amd fx-62 is..

I have posted other info on these new cpu's in this site if you want to learn more.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

It runs on the current socket Lga 775

That's what I thought, like I said "stupid question".
If my current mobo has 775 socket, wouldn't that mean I don't have to replace it then (although I will for pci-e (gigabyte GA8s661fxm)), just install a core 2 duo processor?
(another stupid one, that I think I already know the answer to).

I have posted other info on these new cpu's in this site if you want to learn more

where sorry, i've overlooked it.
I've read everything intel has, and looked reports from Computex.

Edited by sarahw, 10 June 2006 - 12:37 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
No not all 775 mobos only one is out not i think it is the 975x chipset its been out since april its the only chipset currently to suppory core 2 duos there will be more in july as well as probably an nforce 5 range.

sarahw

sarahw

Malware Staff

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts
I've seen the 975x looks ok i suppose....
Gigabyte and Asus have released some new boards (note the copper heat pipes)
Here's one of two gigabyte: http://www.giga-byte...ame=GA-965P-DQ6

I can't see anything from intel on p965 though.