Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

upgrading

• Please log in to reply

Walker

Walker

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I was thinking about adding a second hard drive, and a new motherboard to this system.

The processor speed cannot be upgraded past 1.0ghz and the ram past 512 on this board, so I am looking for a good reputable motherboard that will last me a good while. I am looking to upgrade to about as much as I can for about $200 or less if possible. I need to make sure all my components on this system will be compatible with the new board.

Any suggestions? I'm going to look all over ebay today for some good deals.

Also, do you guys have any links with help on this sort of upgrade? I have never done this big of an upgrade at all. I a tid bit scared :whistling:

Advertisements

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
If you have never done an upgrade like this before, i think you shound have someone look over your shoulder!

Have a look at this place,http://www.tigerdire...m/app.........3

This Will give you idea of what is on the market.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
I don't have a single friend here in Tucson that knows anything about computers, so I don't think I will be able to get someone to look over my shoulder.

Any suggestions on where to look for a detailed guide that might help me do this upgrade? I really hate getting ripped off by all these little computer stores littered around. I am by no means on a budget to take it to a store anyhow, so I need to definitely get this done at home.

thx

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
I found a walkthogh for the motherbored!

http://www.pcstats.com/articlev....55

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You will need to upgrade much more than the MB and CPU. Your memory is probably PC133. Any new CPU will require at least DDR memory( think PC400). A older graphics card will slow a new computer down somewhat.And of course a DVD-rw would have to be included since they only cost around $35. Personally i do not like the MB/CPU kits tiger direct sells. To get close to what you want the price is the same as newegg's. I would rather get exactly what i want from newegg. I have built 4 tiger direct kits for people simply because the price was right for them. I would not use any of those kits to build myself a puter.

Depending on what you want to do with your computer and what can fit into your computer you can go any way you really want to. The reality is that after buying what you need to upgrade you have almost bought a brand new computer anyway. I just built a intel 2.8, foxconn MB, 512 ram, nvidia fx5500, SB audigy, dvd-rw and dvd-rom for someone for $450 for the hardware including a new 450 watt PS case. This person was tired of the onboard everything that H-P, Compaq, Dell and the others sell you. Hes happy as a clam with what hes got even tho it is not top of the line for today. I think he's really thinking that i am only a phone call away to fix anything that goes wrong with the computer.

SRX660

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
How To Install Hard Drive

1. Turn off the computer but leave the power cord plugged in.

2. Remove the computer cover.

3. Touch a metal part of the computer to ground yourself, or use a grounding strap.

4. Locate the ribbon cable connected to the existing hard drive.

5. Change the master/slave designation of the second hard drive (see Related eHows).

6. Connect the second hard drive to the second connector on the cable (colored strip should be closest to the power cable). If the cable does not have a second connector, replace it with one that does, or use a second ribbon cable to attach the second hard drive to the motherboard (if a second drive port is available).

7. Connect an available power cable to the hard drive.

8. Insert the hard drive into an available drive bay and secure with screws.

9. Replace the computer cover.

From Go here for the rest.......

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Come to think of it, SRX660 is right.

Walker

Walker

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

You will need to upgrade much more than the MB and CPU. Your memory is probably PC133. Any new CPU will require at least DDR memory( think PC400). A older graphics card will slow a new computer down somewhat.And of course a DVD-rw would have to be included since they only cost around $35. Personally i do not like the MB/CPU kits tiger direct sells. To get close to what you want the price is the same as newegg's. I would rather get exactly what i want from newegg. I have built 4 tiger direct kits for people simply because the price was right for them. I would not use any of those kits to build myself a puter.

Depending on what you want to do with your computer and what can fit into your computer you can go any way you really want to. The reality is that after buying what you need to upgrade you have almost bought a brand new computer anyway. I just built a intel 2.8, foxconn MB, 512 ram, nvidia fx5500, SB audigy, dvd-rw and dvd-rom for someone for $450 for the hardware including a new 450 watt PS case. This person was tired of the onboard everything that H-P, Compaq, Dell and the others sell you. Hes happy as a clam with what hes got even tho it is not top of the line for today. I think he's really thinking that i am only a phone call away to fix anything that goes wrong with the computer.

SRX660

My memory is PC133 SDRAM, so I will need to scrap all this memory? I have a Geforce 6 that I bought not too long ago, that should be alright for now.

How would I check to see what watt my power supply is? Thanks for your help forumites. :whistling: