Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 dell 15" monitors in the box and a tripp lite vga splitter

• Please log in to reply

jesse1579

jesse1579

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
I was thinking of doing a car pc install with these two dell monitors. Well, I had an offer to buy the car pc I had built so I ended up selling it. Now I have these two dell monitors that are still in the box and a tripp lite vga splitter that's still in the box. If anyone is interested in them email me and make me an offer edited out email for security...unless you like spam don't post your email on an open forum. I'm also trying to fund a car video system install so if you have anything to trade drop me a line.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Why dont you use the monitors to make a car video system?

jesse1579

jesse1579

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
There are several problems when installing these types of monitors. For starters is the VGA to video conversion. With a standard screen you can run one cable that's either svideo or rca + power. With a vga monitor you have to run a vga video cable (which is pretty large) plus power that's converted over from your 12-volt automotive power source. The converter also takes power so that's another cable to run. Then the monitors are pretty hefty. That means no ceiling mounts. Back of the seat or mounted to the headrests are you best option with monitors of this size. That puts them in plain sight and because of the cables and wires they aren't easy removed and stored. I don't like that much visibility because I travel a lot and cars with noticeable equipment get broken into more often. I've done a few video system installs and a few in car pc installs. For what I plan on using mine for the in car video install would work the best. I'll have to 8" flip down screens in the back. I can run the wires up the pillars and on top of the headliner. With the screens closed they aren't very visible from the outside. Then for the front I'll run to smaller screens, probably 5", in the sun visors. That way I can once again run the wire on top of the headliner out of sight. I'm going to put a stand-alone DVD player under the passenger seat with an fm modulator so that I can play the movie's sound over the factory speaker system. I've done this type of install before and it's pretty clean, no wires hanging, and everything still looks pretty stock.

As far as my email being in the message. I don't have a problem with span. That's an old hotmail address and this is the only think I use it for. It was fine to leave it in.

Edited by jesse1579, 12 June 2006 - 07:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'll leave your email edited out...as it's still a bit of a securty issue for you still...if anyone has a desire to trade with you or ask you questions...they will be able to respond to this thread or pm you (either of which will send you an email automatically...so your email being in the thread isn't neccessary..)