Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

access denied

• Please log in to reply

brundel

brundel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
WINDOWS XP. 2 HARDRIVES. 512 Ram. 2.5Ghz.

I am having problems with my 160Gg Seagate slave drive. Most of the media and that I have downloaded will not open with windows media player or several other media players that I have tried. When I try to open it with windows media player they say something about not having access. Also, If I try to organize my files into subfolders I will not be able to open them once I move them. This goes for any type of file: once I move them “access is denied”. Recently I have tried to open some of this media that is giving me trouble and it is playing a completely different file. For example: I try to open a song and one of my mpegs start playing.
All of this media once worked fine, but suddenly it just started messing up. I did chkdsk and there are no bad sectors. I am logged on as the admin as well. What is going on!!??? I would greatly appreciate any help, for this problem has been going on about 5 months now and is pissing me off.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
right click the parent folder, choose SHARING AND SECURITY > SECURITY tab, then ADVANCED, choose the OWNER tab, select your name, check the box about REPLACING CURRENT OWNER, and click OK > OK> OK.....try again

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hey gerryf, thanks for ur post. unfortunately my problem still persists. My options are a little different and i cant follow the instructions as u provided. My understanding is that u need to have xp pro to have the security options as u described them, i have xp home. Sorry, maybe i should have specified that. when i go to the sharing and security of the parent folder there is a general, sharing and customize tab. There is no security tab....... This is where im stuck.
p.s. it tried to put screenshot of my folder options, but i dont know it worked.

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Press the Print Scrn button
start -> run... -> then type mspaint -> CTRL+V -> File -> Save As... -> Name here. -> Choose a location and vòila

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
bundel are you logged in as an administrator or a limited user?

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry for the delyed response guys, but i was in Hawaii. anyway. I am signed as admin. also, i take the scrnshot and attach it, but it isnt showing up in the forum...?
the problem is getting worse. More and more files are unopenable. when i try to open them now nothing happens. I updated viruses and scanned and there are non. i still dont know what is giong on: although i Hope one of u do

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
cmd
<enter>

chkdsk /r
<enter>

say yes, reboot
take a long walk

Your harddrive may be developing errors

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
gerryf, i did as u suggested and ran the chkdsk/ r. when it got to around 100% it shut down, i rebooted and it said chkdsk complete. There is nothing telling me whether there were errors found or not: should there have been? Also, my "access denied" problem still persists. Any suggestions are great, Thanks.

baroon

baroon

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
The "access denied" problem might occur if the file you try to open is already in use by some application. Have you noticed any unusual thing having on your comp, like if you're on network and the outgoing traffic is always on, even if you are not doing any thing. Then there is chance that your comp may be infected by viruses. Get it checked.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
the security option is available in SAFE mode

While starting your computer tap the F8 key once every second during the memory count up, or during the system spash screen where you see the system maker's name (HP, COMPAQ, DELL....etc.)

This will result in a text based menu. Use the curors/arrorw keys to navigate to SAFE MODE and hit enter.

choose a file now....right click as explained above

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
ok guys....so i do have viruses that my updated Norton antivirus was not recognizing. I did a scan with Ewido and it turned out i had twenty two viruses. Ive since deleted them and did a Kaspersky online virus scan and it turned up even more viruses that Ewido nor Norton picked up. I also did a online Panda scan that picked up more viruses and delted them also, But Kaspersky is telling me i have 22 viruses. So, how am i supposed to delete these viruses? Here is a Link to my Kaspersky log.

http://www.yousendit...E5D898B1040929D

Ive also cleared alot of malware with Adware and Spybot, and deleted a few things thru hijackthis.

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
here is the hijackthis log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 2:45:11 PM, on 7/13/2006
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
F:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
F:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
F:\WINDOWS\SOUNDMAN.EXE
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
F:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
F:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
F:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
F:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
F:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
F:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.EXE
F:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
F:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://webster.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - F:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - F:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - F:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] F:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSC_UserPrompt] F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\UsrPrmpt.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] F:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe /Consumer
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [D-Link AirPlus G] F:\Program Files\D-Link\AirPlus G\AirGCFG.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ANIWZCS2Service] F:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\WZCSLDR2.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] F:\Program Files\Winamp\winampa.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] "F:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MSMSGS] "F:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] F:\Program Files\Valve\Steam\\Steam.exe -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "F:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\mnyexpr.exe"
O4 - Global Startup: BlueSoleil.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = F:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = F:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - F:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: F:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {0EB0E74A-2A76-4AB3-A7FB-9BD8C29F7F75} (CKAVWebScan Object) - http://www.kaspersky...can_unicode.cab
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1145884861639
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://update.micros...b?1152209832654
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://acs.pandasoft...free/asinst.cab
O16 - DPF: {C81B5180-AFD1-41A3-97E1-99E8D254DB98} - http://www.commandon...cabs/cssweb.cab
O16 - DPF: {E36C5562-C4E0-4220-BCB2-1C671E3A5916} (Seagate SeaTools English Online) - http://www.seagate.c.../npseatools.cab
O23 - Service: ANIWZCSd Service (ANIWZCSdService) - Alpha Networks Inc. - F:\Program Files\ANI\ANIWZCS2 Service\ANIWZCSdS.exe
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - ATI Technologies Inc. - F:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - F:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Automatic LiveUpdate Scheduler - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
O23 - Service: BlueSoleil Hid Service - Unknown owner - F:\Program Files\IVT Corporation\BlueSoleil\BTNtService.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - F:\WINDOWS\System32\CTSvcCDA.EXE
O23 - Service: ewido anti-spyware 4.0 guard - Anti-Malware Development a.s. - F:\Program Files\ewido anti-spyware 4.0\guard.exe
O23 - Service: LiveUpdate - Symantec Corporation - F:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\LIVEUP~1\LUCOMS~1.EXE
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - F:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - F:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Zone Labs, LLC - F:\WINDOWS\system32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe

brundel

brundel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have solved my current issues. it is how gerryf says to do it, but u must have xp professional to do it. i had xp home. i just installed xp professional on new partition. however, i now get an error when opening media files that says something about an unrecognizable file extension or the media was made with an unfamiliar codec. i will post in appropriate section of forum. any help would be appreciated, thanks guys.