Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New System help

• Please log in to reply

hawksview

hawksview

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I need help finding RAM that will work on my new system build. I tried setting up the system once, but it doesn't work. With my motherboard, however, there is a diagnostic that lets me know which area is causing the problem. Apparently, it is the RAM. Since I'm unable to test my RAM in another system, I can't tell whether it's DOA or incompatible with my motherboard. What do you think is the problem?

motherboard:
K9N Platinum (Socket AM2)
http://www.msi.com.t...ail.php?UID=730
(came with "d-bracket 2")

CPU:
AMD 3500+
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103633

RAM:
OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227030

Please help! Thanks.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
When you put in the RAM did you put one stick in one of the orange slots and one in the green. The way it looks like your board is configured, you need one in each, not two in the same color. Try that and report back :whistling:

hawksview

hawksview

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I did do that, as the way it's stated in the manual for the motherboard. Since it's dual channel, I put one in dimm1 and one in dimm3.

I think I'm going to end up getting a new set of memory, but I just want to know if I should buy a different type, that would be sure to be compatible.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
There is always the possiblity that the RAM itself is error-fied. It's kinda hard to find out since you don't have another computer. If you do end of buying new RAM I would go with either Corsair XMS or Crucial. Those are two brands I know that make high quality RAM.

KeythF

KeythF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got the same set-up, and I'm having problems, too! The differnce here, though, is that I can't get any response from my system at all. No beeps, no monitor, nonothing. Haven't started troubleshooting, yet, but am gonna start with stipping the MoBo and starting from there.

Is there an epidemic of theses things not working?

Also a newbie.

Keep us updated hawksveiw...please.

Edited by KeythF, 13 June 2006 - 11:02 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Havent heard of any epidemics probably just conicidence.

Have you tried only single sticks see if maybe one works, have you tried booting from a memtest disk.

If you cant run any tests try some new ram but go through our new build trouble shooting as well. The memory looks to be compatible.

KeythF

KeythF

• Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE

Okay, I work Odd hours, so "Morning" and "Night" are somewhat relative, bear with me.

Got home last night (this morning) and stripped the thing out of its case. Removed battery for several minutes (how ever long it takes to make a PopTart). Hit the Clear CMOS button a coupla times. Re-inserted the battery. More button pressing. Put it (the MoBo) on cardboard then hooked up power supply, vid card, keyboard and mouse, and 1 stick of RAM...
IT WORKED...(sort of)
I got picture, but kept getting some message about boot sequence. It would loop here every 2 or three minutes with the same messages popping up in that interval. After a few tries of resetting the machine, and hitting "DEL" key, I finally got into the BIOS (timing must be critical on this, 'cause I didn't get any message about "Hit Del to enter BIOS"...or whatever the appropriate message should be). Wasn't really sure about what I should be setting in Bios. I am under the impression that this particular board will auto detect hardware. So I....

Remounted the MoBo in the case making sure I insulated the standoffs. (I used a hole punch to punch out holes from some gasket material, then used an awl to punch a tiny hole for the screw to go through.) Re-attached the above components, including the power up and reset buttons on the case. Everything still worked as it had before. Still couldn't see any BIOS message, but after a few attempts and resets I made it in again

Next I tried my old Hard Drive. It seemed to power-up, but I heard a sort of whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>.....whhrrr <click>..... and nothing else happened.

Going to do more research on these boards, and try more tonight whe I get home. (tomorrow morning)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Might want to try a bios flash, sounds like you got a board with a bad bios it does unfortunately happen with every manufacturer now and again. I would RMA the board as it is clearly at fault.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for the future..if you suspect bad RAM get memtest 86+...it tests your memory...get it here and keep it for later
it works from floppy or CD

http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by happyrck, 15 June 2006 - 06:01 PM.