Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't Convert Works 4.5 to Word

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have transferred some MS Works v4.5a documents to a new computer that has Windows XP and Word 2003. When I try to open the Works docs with Word, they are all gibberish. I've downloaded and installed several conversion tools from the Microsoft's website. They didn't work. So I went into add/remove programs and changed Word's and Excel's wizards to all run from the computer. That also hasn't worked. Any ideas?

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,528 posts
Hi smacey,

Word doesn't recognise the Works format very well, that is why when opened the contents of the file appear as gibberish. What needs to be done is to open the documents in the original program that created them (Works 4.5a) and then save them in a format that Word 2003 will recognise. When saving the files, start with Word 6.0/95 from the Files of Type drop down list. I don't have Works 4.5 installed on this system so you may have to try a couple of the file types, but be carefull as some only save the files in RTF format and you may loose some of the documents formatting. Make sure that you have a back up copy of the files before you begin to save the Works files in a differnt format.

Hope this helps. :whistling: