Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDCP in PC LCD Monitor, a little confused.. need reassurance

• Please log in to reply

st22

st22

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 243 posts
Hi,

im looking at getting the:

- DellTM 2407WFP 24" UltraSharpTM Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Super High-end Wide Screen Flat Panel monitor with Digital DVI-D (HDCP)/Analog/ S video/ Composite/Component inputs

then there is the same monitor:

- DellTM 2405FPW 24" UltraSharpTM Wide Screen Flat Panel LCD Monitor
Super High-end Wide Screen Flat Panel monitor with Digital DVI-D/Analog/ S video/Composite/Component inputs

the difference is "HDCP"...... and $250AUS

I would like to save the money, although i think it is in my best interest to get the HDCP one...

I came to this conclusion because this site (http://www.digitalco...FAQ/HDTV_12.asp) suggests HDCP monitor is required to view the content of these new technologies coming out "blu-ray" "HD TV" "Xbox" etc

So my question is, do you agree with me that it is something I need to get, the HDCP monitor?

UPDATE: It is my intention to view HD on this monitor, via digital set top box, as well as blu-ray in the future. I figured out that it is actually 1080i resolution which all the TV’s at the store "claim" to be HD, but they are in fact not the full HD resolution available.

I will be able to use it as my pc monitor, as well as view HD on it at the same time with appropriate connections and ports installed correct?

Edited by st22, 10 June 2006 - 05:29 PM.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The xbox360 wont have a high definition output unless the basic ps3 is going to have one fitted which is unlikely to change, this is a big hit to HDCP and could very well hopefully mean its demise, the technologies rent finalised or even in use yet most new gfx cards output to dvi some have hdmi now, but hdcp is supported in most new cards and they dont need a monitor.

Personally i wouldnt bother with the HDCP myself the $250 i would think could go to better use.