Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Data CD vs Music CD

• Please log in to reply

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Data CD vs Music CD Is there a difference?

When I buy blank cds I see there are 2 types, Data and Music. The music are more expensive. Is it worth paying more money for them?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Not in my experience. I use the cheap cds for data and music. Of course, when my kids scratch a music cd to uselessness, I can always burn another. I often burn MP3 cds (you can fit hours of music on a single cd) and they are "data", of course, and must be read with an MP3 player. One tip- get a Sharpie pen and write on the cd itself. If it becomes separated from its sleeve, you don't have to stick it in the comp to "remember" the contents.

Johanna

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its probably just that the "music" disks are slightly longer 800Mb compared to the usual 750Mb, they have never made specific blank music cds for burning ive never seen them.

ELECTRIC WIZARD

ELECTRIC WIZARD

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Here is a photo of maxwell cd-r.

Attached Thumbnails

• music_cd.jpg

Edited by ELECTRIC WIZARD, 11 June 2006 - 11:16 AM.

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
From what I understand the only difference is a surcharge paid to the music industry(hence price difference) on cd-r music otherwise there is no difference, A bit like right vs left handed screw drivers :whistling: