Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

desktop doesn't fill entire LCD screen

• Please log in to reply

yvonnelippa

yvonnelippa

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi there,
the size of the desktop display of my laptop is about a third smaller than the LCD screen (a black margin is around it). I reinstalled Windows 98 but it didn't change anything. When changing the display setting by increasing the resolution, Windows gives me the following error message "There's a problem with the display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the currect settings do not work with your hardware." It used to work and I haven't changed any hardware, so I don't think it's hardware related. I suspect it must be that there's somewhere a wrong setting. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Yvonne Lippa

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Yvonne...

What is the resolution currently set to?

Have you tried adjusting the size using the buttons on the monitor?

wannabe1

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had a old toshiba laptop that was like that. Downloading drivers from the toshiba website fixed the problem.

SRX660

yvonnelippa

yvonnelippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
There are no buttons to adjust the size. The current resolution is set to 640 x 480.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you set it to a minimum of 800 X 600? Or even 1024 X 768?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you are using a desktop LCD monitor with a older laptop you will not be able to change the settings. My toshiba 4010 has a 13 " screen, but when i use a 15 desktop LCD i have a 1 " black border around the screen. I cannot change this on this older laptop. Newer laptops can be changed in the display properties in windows to match a bigger screen. I have a Dell inspirion that will fill a 19" desktop monitor.

SRX660

yvonnelippa

yvonnelippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop is a DELL latitude. Its screen used to be fine but then it crashed on me and the small screen size is one of the damages done. The resolution cannot be changed whatsoever. The slider that potentially changes the resolution doesn't move at all.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...now this does sound like drivers. What is the model number of your Latitude?

yvonnelippa

yvonnelippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
The model is Cpi D266XT.

Just FYI, I did try to change drivers for the monitor. The generic SVGA and XGA drivers that came with Windows 98 didn't work. Although switching to these drivers enabled the option of changing the resolution in the control panel, when I actually tried to change it, there was no effect.

The weird thing is that, even though it's in 640 x 480 resolution, the visible screen does not span the length of the monitor. All of the screen is contained in a small window in the middle of the monitor.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wow...lots of display drivers listed for that machine. Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the "Device Manager" tab, then locate and expand (click +) "Display Adapters". What display adapter is listed?

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The display adapter is NeoMagic 2160 and the driver fot it are here
http://members.drive...start=70&len=10
You'll just need to do a free registration to the site
After you install the drivers set the resolution at 800x600 cause thats the resolution of the screen.

Edited by memberix, 12 June 2006 - 07:22 PM.

yvonnelippa

yvonnelippa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I first have to get internet access on the laptop again before I can download the driver. I let you know whether it worked. Thanks to everybody!

nancydotcom

nancydotcom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had the same problem. Try reinstalling the NeoMagic drivers. Look under the "Video Adapter" drivers on the Dell support downloads site for your model. After that, you should be able to change your resolution so it fills the entire screen.