Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Picking a video card

• Please log in to reply

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
I have a 2000/2001 Intel D845HV motherboard using a 478 socket. I have the technical product specification manual for it too (not that I understand most of it). How can I tell which new video cards will work in it? Will any PCI? Will a PCIe? Thanks.

Advertisements

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
You are limited to AGP 4X/2X (1.5 volt only) Choose a video card of the AGP 8X/4x/2X capable variety and Definitely not Pcie

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
How "behind the times" are AGP 8x/4x/2x cards? I'd like the ability to play games like Oblivion and Half Life 2. Truth be know my current machine was free and I haven't spent any money to add anything to it. Like I said the board is around 5 years old and my RMA is only PC133. My current card is an ATi Radeon 9550 256 MB (also older).

I'm in that familiar place of trying to decide between upgrades or just getting a whole new machine. What do you think?

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Half life 2

minimum System Configuration
1.2 GHz Processor
256MB RAM
DirectX 7 capable graphics card
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98

Preferred System Configuration

2.4 GHz Processor
512MB RAM
DirectX 9 capable graphics card 256mb
Windows 2000/XP/ME/98

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion System Requirements
Minimum System Requirements:

Windows XP
512MB System RAM
2 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
128MB Direct3D compatible video card

Recommended:

3 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 or equivalent processor
1 GB System RAM
ATI X800 series, Nvidia GeForce 6800 series, or higher video card

It really comes down to how much you want to upgrade and compared to totally new build,

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I've got just over 1 GB of RAM (but it's only PC133) and my card has 256 MB of RAM and my Direct X is 9.0 but my processor is only a P4 2.0 GHz. I tried running a Ghost Recon Advanced War Fighter Demo and it was jerky. I'm thinking I could get a whole new machine and a up-to-date card all with faster memory and bus for not much more than getting simply buying faster memory and a new card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Youre going to have a hard time getting oblivion to run(no big loss), HL2 might it was well coded and very scalable. A new PC is the way to go if you want to play new games.

PuffGussy36

PuffGussy36

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I agree (about a new PC). I'll probably just save my pennies. Thanks.