Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

overclocking processor

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got a Pentium 4 3.00GHz with HT processor. I wanted to overclock it to get better performance. Any recommended softwares for achieving the most stable overclocked speed ? I am honestly clueless of any software that can help me do this. The motherboard I have is Intel D875PBZ & I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
I don't overclock myself. There is a guide posted at http://www.geekstogo...ock-t11177.html that will give you some insight.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
That's a great guide & stuff but it doesn't really tell you any softwares that can be used. Someone has recommended using Clockgen but that doesn't allow you to save the settings & also it doesn't even have a stress test that could be run to ensure the stability of the system.

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
i have a p4 overclocked aswell i have used gigabyte easy tune but that is only for gigabyte motherboards

software overclocking isnt that great the best thing to do is just do it from teh bios its permenant and u have more options generally thats what i did with mine i have been able to overclock my CPU from 3.0GHz to 3.4 on stock cooling and it seemed to run alright the temps werent even that high but.

you must no what you are doing though it can have some really negative effects :blink: if you no what i mean :whistling:

try doing it through the bios that is the best option buy far
troppo

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I've got two options which I believe are for overclocking, its called burn in mode;
Host & I/O mode
The settings for Host & I/O mode range from -2% to +4%, in increments of 1%.
AGP/PCI mode
The settings for AGP/PCI mode include: 63.88 MHz/31.94 MHz, 68.05/34.02, 69.44/34.72, 70.83/35.41, 72.22/36.11, and 73.60 MHz/36.80 MHz.

No other option I think would come close to being one for overclocking. Anyone know how to use these options ?
Thanks

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I don't overclock Pentiums, but I know that you shouldn't use software. Overclock should be done via the BIOS, which of course you should take precausions editing. Overclocking is a matter of patience, and you should go little by little - processors heat up almost instantly from when you power up the PC. So be careful.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm sure you've been told this before...but overclocking a modern CPU isn't going to get you much gain....for the risks involved...you used to be able to do some serious overclocking on older processors and get something good out of it....but (to use troppo's example) if you go from 3 gig to 3.4....you're not really getting that much... .3 Ghz is roughly 410 mhz....wich is rellatively nothing compared to the total power of the unclocked processor... back in the day....if you had a 500 mhz processor and you could get 200 or 300 mhz extra squezed out of the contraption...that was saying something!...but compared to 3ghz.... 400 mhz is nothing... especially when you weigh the consequences of burning up that processor..

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
FalloutYear those options are available in the BIOS, not a software.
Well, I love playing games & of course I love getting the best fps on my games as possible with minimum cash required for the improvement. I just thought after reading many reviews that lots of ppl have been able to go from 3GHz to 3.6GHz & so on & well if I could go up to about 3.4 or 3.6 fps would shoot up by 10 for almost every game. I mean that would show some noticeable improvement dont you think ? But if your saying that the risks are way greater than the improved performance I guess no point then.
Anyway thanks for the help guys.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
....overclocking your proc may increase the FPS in a game...but not by what you're hoping for (to my understanding of the process..i could be wrong..)...the better way to increase graphix performance...is to get a better graphix card...people forget that the point of a graphix card is so that the processor (cpu) doesn't have to process the graphix info...the GPU that's on the graphix card does all of that.....so in theory...as long as your processor is meeting the proper requirements...and you have a king kong top of the line graphix card...your games would look better than someone who has teh best processor on the market and a crappy graphix card.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Interesting....I have a reasonable gfx i think, Radeon X800XL 256MB (AGP)...so I would be better off overclocking the graphics card than the processor....the thing is I have already overclocked the gfx both for memory clock & core clock by about 6% each.
I just thought if I overclocked the processor, its % usage would decrease when the games are running & then better & smoother gameplay will flow in itself. Have any idea what those Host & I/O or AGP/PCI options are ? How they work ?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not telling you not to overclock...and i can't really offer help with overclocking...i just wanted to make sure that you knew the risks are usually much higher than the gain....alot of people will see a bit of increase by upgrading or adding ram...and you may see some advantages from overclocking the cpu...but those advantages wont be drastic...it won't be a new computer after you reboot after overclocking...it might be slightly faster....but nothing HUGE...i'd prefer a little chop in a game...as opposed to melting a proc

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
well i noticed some improvement but as said not all that much it does help in games slightly but im not seeing the full benefits because of a really crappy graphics card :whistling:

if you even just want to overclock and see the diffference i would suggest going into the bios and raising the FSB little by little and i mean like say 3 or 4 MHz at a time and if the computer boots and is stable great but remember when a computer is starting up it uses 100% of the CPU's power and that means really high heat so that is where you are likely to do thge most damage

but if you change the settings and the computer boots but it is unstable then i suggest straight away shut down and go back into the bios and reduce the settings

at this stage i would NOT raise any voltages either the CPU Vcore or the Vram this is when you start to generate more heat and damage your components i can give you more info but we want to let you no that this is very risky and should only be done if you have read guides and understand everything
if you DON'T no everything DON'T DO IT sorry to say but if you cant understand somethings and skipp over them then really you shouldnt be doing it

just weigh up the pros and cons
and make the right decision,
troppo

FalloutYear

FalloutYear

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

FalloutYear those options are available in the BIOS, not a software.

I never said they were available in software. I just said, use the BIOS to overclock :whistling:.

manu08

manu08

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Well, I don't know. What I seem to understand is, either I will end up in [bleep] or fairyland & well now im not quite sure I wanna take the risk. Would it really hurt if I increased the speed just by a tiny amount, I wouldn't mind that, however I do not know how to use those 2 options available in the BIOS & also I'm not sure how to check for system stability. I do have an Intel software; Intel Desktop Control Center, that features a stress test. Would that do ? Or would it be better running something like 3DMark 06 (basic version) ? Also maybe worth a mention, I've had a tough time with my memory. They seem to work at only one option, DDR 400MHz, 2.775V, CPC override OFF, timings 2.5-3-3-7. I have 2x512MB paired OCZ memory & one 512MB Samsung memory, its pair gave me errors on Memtest so I had to remove it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if this is your only computer and you really like it, and you are not 100% confident in your ability to overclock...then don't