Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Remove partial install

• Please log in to reply

ecbuck

ecbuck

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I attempted to load Vista but it has failed partially through the process. Now I am left with a boot manager allowing (very briefly) for a choice between my original XP install and the non-working Vista, which of course is the default.

How do I uninstall the partial installation of Vista and get rid of the initial boot option.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just reformat over the partition and you will get rid of it and you can leave it or try to reisntall.

ecbuck

ecbuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Did it automatically create a new parition? I didn't, it didn't ask for one and as far as I know there was no space for one.

ecbuck

ecbuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Confirmed. No new partition. Vista files put into directory $windows~bt. BCD boot manager installed. It appears I need to get rid of BCD and get the machine to boot using boot.ini once again. Then I can just delete the $windows~bt directory.

BTW, the one time theSystem Recovery option came up on a Vista page, it generated an error.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
To remove the boot loader, start your pc with recovery console using an xp cd and run

fixboot

have it overwrite the boot sector, and you will be back to boot.ini

ecbuck

ecbuck

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Gerry - That did the trick.