Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BF2 Problems

• Please log in to reply

theforevermind

theforevermind

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hey,

My System Spec
- AMD athlon 64 3500+
- ABIT AX8 Socket 939 VIA K8T890 ATX AMD Motherboard
- Powercolor R41AB-ND3 Radeon X700 256 mb ddr pci express x16
- Corsair 1 gb sdram ddr 400
- HITACHI Deskstar 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
- Acer 19" 8ms Widescreen LCD Monitor

I need some help troubleshooting problems with BF2.The game installed perfectly and everything, but for awhile now, the game freezes up after about 30 mins of gaming. The screen will freeze, whatever sound was occuring will repeat itself over and over again and then the screen goes black. After that, either I have to exit the entire game via the task manager or sometimes turn off the computer from the switch. It's bad!

I have downloaded a couple patches and everything but what makes me think it is my video card is the fact that the same thing happens on 2 other games (NFS HP 2 and Halo) as well (the exact same thing).

I looked at reviews of my card and realized that some people said that it sometimes just quit on them and they had to get a new one. One of my friends suggested that I may need a new fan on it that generates cooler temps since it happens at least 20 mins into any of the games.

I am at my wits end or frankly I don't know enough to troubleshoot it....

I would appreciate any advice!

~theforevermind

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hrmmm....have you tried testing the ram?

Look up memtest.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Two things to check for. One, is there a way for you to monitor the temperature of the graphics card and CPU? I know there are some programs, not sure how well they work, my case has thermal sensors for those things.

Two, what is your power supply?

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
alright cool!

I am really confused with that memtest thingy...can you give me some basic instructions on how to operate it?

As for the temp, I can determine my cpu and system temp but not my graphics card temp. My cpu usually runs 58-60 and my system usually 38-40 under normal usage. (I need a new case)

And my power supply is a Rosewill Value 400Watt...

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Heat may be your problem, possibly. I know my CPU runs at a mid-30's range all the time. Does the whole computer lock up or just the game?

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
yah heat may be the problem...it's just the games that freezes up. movies, powerpoint, etc. work fine (no glitches)

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Well if the whole system doesn't lock up then it's probably not a heat thing (although some extra cooling could always help your system). Is the freeze-up in one particular place? Or at random?

theforevermind

theforevermind

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
the freeze-up happens randomly but it is always at least 20 mins into a game (only games)

could it be that just the graphic card is overheating?

i need to invest in a new case and a better cooling system sometime soon

thanks by the way for the help