Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New IBM R40 gives Hard Drive failure message

• Please log in to reply

anitam

anitam

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
New IBM R40.

1. Started up find with the factory manager running. Was able to use functions normally (XP loaded fine and was able to create user account).
2. Then got a "Hard Drive Error"
3. On reboot, it said, "Please install HAL.DLL file". Then froze.
4. When I tried rebooting from XP disk and now the message is "Hard Drive failure, unformatted of missing disk"

What should I do? Thanks.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi anitam...

First, check all your cables...particularly the IDE ribbon. Make sure all connectors are firmly seated. Try to boot normally again. What happens?

wannabe1

anitam

anitam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry, what is the IDE ribbon? Do I need to open the laptop?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No...don't open the laptop. Do you have an XP installation cd?

anitam

anitam

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Yes, we have a windows XP installation CD..... we have tried all the options (install, repair etc) and at some point it complains about the hard disk....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Is the machine still under warranty? If it is, I would return it to the place of purchase and have them check the HDD. This sounds like either a poorly installed or a bad Hard Drive. It may be just something in the way it is configured, but with a new machine, it would be best to let them look at it first so they have no complaints about you doing something that may void the warranty.

If it's not under warranty, let me know and we'll dig a little deeper.