Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RAID Controller and BIOS help

• Please log in to reply

BuraddoK

BuraddoK

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To start, I really don't know much about how things work. I seem to always have some type of problem with my computer, and I decided to do something about it this morning.

Most of my concern is about my performance when gaming. I seem to have pretty bad performance (talking framerate here) compared to most others, and I can't seem to figure out why. Processor is Celeron D 2.4ghz (not great, I know, but I don't think it's the real bottleneck to my system), have one gig of RAM, and an ATI Radeon 9800 pro All-in-wonder for video card.

My framerate is definitely not up to par compared to most others, with similar or even worse systems. I run anti-spyware/adware/virus nearly every day, never have any resource-consuming programs running in the background, and for all games have graphic settings on absolute lowest.

A couple things I'm wondering about that may be causing performance issues. To start, I apparently do not have an updated BIOS. After getting a computer restart I was forwarded to one of the microsoft error-report pages. It stated it could not find any problems that may have caused the restart, but that my BIOS was outdated. Wondering if that could have any impact on in-game performance, and if so, where I can get assistance on updating it.

Another thing I noticed. Earlier today I was going through the device-manager, and saw that my RAID Controller apparently isn't functioning. I don't really know anything about the RAID Controller, but it says it has no driver, and thus isn't working ("The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"). Clicked 'Reinstall Driver' and Windows Update could not find a driver for it. What information would I need to know to find a driver for it, and could it by any chance affect my performance when gaming?

Thanks for the help.

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
I can not help you with your other problems, but don't worry about the RAID controller since I suspect you are not using it. Most likely the motherboard has a RAID controller on it, so it is discovered, but you have not installed the drivers from the motherboard company. For the most part using RAID on a PC based machine is not needed unless you have critical data that you need to protect and which backups are not good enough.