Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

installed xp pro over media centre. need help with partitions etc

• Please log in to reply

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Hi,
I'm having loads of trouble with my laptop, i'll try and be quite breif explaining my situation but also be descriptive (skip to the bit in bold if ur in a hurry :whistling:):

My new dell inspiron 6400 laptop was working fine, then an undetectable trojan got on it, i ran a dodgy removal program given to me by the guy who made the trojan because I had no other choice.
After "removing" this trojan, the laptop was REALLY SLOW.
Became normal again about 12hours after.
Eventually whenever i started up the laptop, the mouse and keyboard would stop responding "except for "Ctrl", "Alt", "Delete" and the windows key.
I ran the laptop in safemode and did system restore. Laptop started working fine again but i never shut it down (always hibernated).
Yesterday, i shut it down and when it started back up, the mouse/keyboard problem was back...

I used a pirated "media centre edition" on a CD which turned out to install "windows xp pro". I used a pirated disc because my laptop came with media centre pre installed and instead of it on disc, it was put in a seperate partition on the HD and i don't know how to access it.
I thought that after installing "media centre edition" i could somehow change the key to my legit one on the sticker below my laptop but because it turned out to be xp pro, i couldnt do that and it wont let me log on until i "activate it".
I can't even log on in safemode now because it says i have to activate first on that too. I tried 10 times but still no luck.

Now what i need to do is somehow access the partition on my HD where media centre is (i didnt format the HD so it should still be there) and install it afresh. Can someone give me a step-by-step guide on how to do that or fix my problem some other way (i still want to use XP MediaCentre edition on my laptop) bearing in mind i cant log on normally OR on safemode...

Thanks a lot,
Dominic C

Edited by Dominicc2003, 11 June 2006 - 01:42 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Dominicc2003...

Have a look at This Guide to restore the original operating system. It's interactive...just select the options that apply to your situation.

wannabe1

Dominicc2003

Dominicc2003

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Thanks a lot! :whistling:
Worked fine.

Thanks again,
Dom

wannabe1

wannabe1