Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Auto Restart

• Please log in to reply

katja

katja

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I did all the things that you suggested to alias09 for his/her computer restarting without warning. Under Event Viewer System in Administrative Tools: my computer says System Control Manager #7000. Polaroid Digital Cam Video service failed to start. It is either disabled or there are no enabled devices associated with it. I do have a Polaroid Digital camera but I don't think I ever installed the video program for it. My computer has also been restarting more often than when this error shows up. Help
Just a few minutes ago it did it again and gave me the befroe mentioned error. I don't keep my camera hooled up but I do leave the connection cable plugged in.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi katja...

Does this happen with the camera connected or the cable disconnected? Do you use the camera?

wannabe1

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It hasn't happened w the camera connected. But I haven't disconnected the cable yet. I've also had this same camera and cable for almost a year now. And this problem just started a few weeks ago. It also happens more often than what is logged on the computer. THe other day it happened 3 times in about 15 minutes. Thanks

Listerofsmeg

Listerofsmeg

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Turn off auto restart
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Startup and recovery
uncheck auto restart.

From Windows XP Tweaks World

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
That was the first thing I tried. I have unplugged the camera cord and it hasn't auto restarted again yet.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type msconfig and click "Ok". Under the "Startup" tab, is there an application in the list related to your camera?

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
There's some I don't recognize. igfxtray.exe, hkcmd.exe, igfxpers.exe, hpztsb04.exe, ctfmon.exe

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
  • igfxtray.exe...Quick access to the control panel via a System Tray icon for graphics based upon the Intel chipsets.
    This is not necesary on startup and can be safely deselected.
  • hkcmd.exe...Installed by the Intel 810 and 815 chipset graphic drivers. If the user wishes to have "HotKey" access to Intel's customised graphics properties, it is required, otherwise not.
  • igfxpers.exe...Associated with the Common User Interface module for Intel graphics cards.
  • hpztsb04.exe...(1) Ghostscript device driver for printers understanding Hewlett-Packard's Printer Command Language or (2) Creates 1 or all 3 icons on taskbar. The 1st one has a yellow border around it warning that ink is low on the printer. The 2nd one is HP Device Detection Software and the 3rd one is about a card being inserted into the Hp printer.
    This one is up to you...basically it monitors and reports ink usage for the printer.
  • ctfmon.exe...CTFMon is involved with the language/alternative input services in Office XP. Ctfmon.exe will continue to put itself back into MSConfig when you run the Office XP apps as long as the Text Services and Speech applets in the Control Panel are enabled. Not required if you don't need these features.
    Again, this one is up to you.
Click Start, then Run, type services.msc and click "Ok". See if you can locate the Polaroid Digital Cam Video service in the list...let me know if you find it there.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I didn't find the Polaroid program in services. And computer just restarted again by itself. Camera cord is not plugged in but that's what it was looking fof under system control. It hasn't happened in a few days, until just a few minutes ago. Another error i found under Application in administrative tools: faulting application msimn.exe version 6.0.2900.2180; faulting mudule unknown; address 0x60349d49. Its either this error (Event ID 1000) or the before mentioned camera error (Event ID 7000) that keeps making my computer restart.
Contacted polaroid and walked thru Safe Hardware Removal. They said this should stop Event ID 7000 from occurring again.
Now I just need to know about the other error.

Edited by katja, 13 June 2006 - 02:21 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download, install, and run WinAudit. Save a report to your desktop in HTML format. This will place 3 files on your desktop. Zip (Rt click > Send To > Compressed (Zip) folder) the file named "rightframe.html" and e-mail me the compressed folder...I will PM you with the address. The other two files may be deleted.

This report will allow me to have a little better look at what's going on with your machine.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I have the report...thank you. I will be a bit in looking it over and may ask you for a new log after the error has generated a few times. All of the errors listed in this report are referencing the Polaroid file.

I will post back with anything I find... :whistling:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
How long have you had this problem? Did it seem to begin in April?

Open Control Panel and double click the "Add or Remove Programs" icon. Make sure the box at the top is checked to "Show Updates" and scroll down the list of installed programs to the security updates. Uninstall security update KB911567 and reboot.

Do you still get the error?

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
No it started in late May early June. kb911567 was not listed in add/remove list however i searched for it and got it out that way. we'll see if it works. computer's been fine this afternoon.

Edited by katja, 13 June 2006 - 06:19 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Keep your eye on it for a bit.

The msimn.exe error relates to IE and Outlook Express which are both a part of the operating system. the KB911567 update is known to "break" these applications. If your system stops generating the error with this update removed, we'll know what it was. You can then let Windows update reinstall it and see if a fresh version fixes it or breaks it again.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I uninstalled kb911567 via add/remove, after i finally found it.... microsoft update won't reinstall it. says i already have this service pack.