Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Auto Restart

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Just leave it off for now. Are you still getting the error?

Advertisements

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
it just restarted a few minutes ago but didn't leave an error msg in applications or system logs.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Does it "click" (not the monitor) when it shuts down?

Download, install, and run SpeedFan. Monitor the temperatures for a bit and post back with the highest temperature you see before it restarts.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
so far it hasn't made any noises clicks or otherwise. just restarts, like when I tell it to.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
fan temp got up to 36 before it shut down. it also left error msgs this time. i emiale du a new winaudit.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have the Windows XP installation cd? If you do, I'd like you to run these next two operations one after the other.

Close all open windows. Click Start then Run...type sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (there will be a progress bar...this may take up to an hour).

Click Start then Run...type chkdsk /r (note the space) and press "Enter". In the Command Window, type Y and press "Enter" to run the check on the next start.. This will run on boot-up so restart will take a while...be patient.

Let me know how this goes...

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
today microsoft update reinstalled kb911567 on its own. i guess we'll see if it worked. still have camera issue and a new warning: Source in WinMgmt ID 63, " a provider OffProv11, has been registered in the WMI namespace. Root \MSAPPA11 to use LocalSystem account thei account is privileged and and provider may cause security violation if it doesn ot correctly impersonate user requests" Any ideas?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok". In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SOFTWARE, then Microsoft, then WBEM, and click on Scripting. In the right pane, what is the value listed for "Default Impersonation Level"?

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
0x00000003(3)

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
It just did it 2x in a row. The first w no error msgs and the second w the camera error. and the temp got up to 37.

Edited by katja, 14 June 2006 - 02:12 PM.

Advertisements

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
sfc /scannow (Note the space between sfc and /) and press "Enter". You will be asked for your installation cd, so have it handy. Wait for the scan to finish (there will be a progress bar...this may take up to an hour).
I didn't know which option to choose off the list that comes up when starting the XP disc.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You don't need to start with the cd...the system file check is started from within Windows, as is the chkdsk operation (though the chkdsk will run on the next boot).

Start the sfc /scannow operation and insert the cd when asked for it.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I ran both ans they seemd to be OK. I also totally uninstalled my camera. I'll run my comuter online tonight and tomorrow and see what happenes. thanks again for your help

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The camera seems to be causing the most errors...all of the errors in the applications area are related to the camera in the logs I've got.

Let me know how it runs without that installed.

katja

katja

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Just restarted. still showed camera error. also showed msimn.exe error after reinstalling kb911567. so i uninstalled it again. but y the camera error shows up w/o the camera installed gets me.