Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Task Manager Doesnt Work

• Please log in to reply

Hypro1122

Hypro1122

• Pip
  • 5 posts
When I Hit Ctrl,Alt,Delete My Task Manager Doesnt Come Up, What Can I do To Fix This.(Kinda New To This)Need Easy Explanation......Thank You

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Hypro1122...

What happens when you right click on a clear area of the taskbar and choose "Task Manager"? Does it open that way?

wannabe1

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Ok...no go there...(Thanks for the PM...let's work in open forum, though, so we can help others who may have this problem)

Click Start, then Run, type taskmgr.exe and click "Ok". Does it open this way?

Hypro1122

Hypro1122

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
[quote name='wannabe1' date='Jun 11 2006, 07:15 PM' post='697821']
Ok...no go there...(Thanks for the PM...let's work in open forum, though, so we can help others who may have this problem)

Click Start, then Run, type taskmgr.exe and click "Ok". Does it open this way?
When I Do That A Window Pops Up and Says "Another Program Is Currently Using This File"

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's see if we can find what's using it...be warned, malware can cause this...but then so can some other things.

Download and run HiJackThis. Save a log and attach it here for me.

webaron

webaron

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I am having the exact same problem. System is a Dell C600 laptop running Windows XP Professional. Nevere had the problem before this weekend. Cannot open or use taskmanager, cmd.exe, or regedit. Getting the same error message each time: "Another Program is Currently Using This File."

The output from the HijackThis log file is attached. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi webaron...

You have some wierd stuff in the log...Let's let the malware experts deal with this one.

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions on that page.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process, post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please start a new topic in this forum.

wannabe1