Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

to build or not to build...that is the question

• Please log in to reply

JimB

JimB

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
I saw the [bleep] computer co. is set to start shipping the xps700 with available quad/sli vid cards for about $5k.
Any guesses on the time table for:
a. when quad gpu sli will be available for DIY builds?
b. it will be integrated with dual cpu mobos?

just wondering; comp is getting a little long in the tooth, so it will be time for a new one by the end of the year and I just wondered what y'all had heard.

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
First off, with the price you pay for quad video cards, it won't nearly be worth it. Just get a top 'o' the line card instead of 4 [bleep] cards and you'll be fine. And by the end of the year, Vista and DX10 will be out so you can build a single video card wonder machine.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
wait a few months before deciding...go here for the benchmarking of both the AMDFX 62 against the Intel core 2 duo...was called conroe the last benchmarking tests and it beat AMD in gaming...to read the reviews with the benchmarking results...

http://anandtech.com...doc.aspx?i=2771

Edited by happyrck, 12 June 2006 - 08:35 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
AMD are halving the prices as well so core 2 is going to need to be really cheap to win against the AMD flood, the next chip gen from amd should balance it back again they are supposed to ship first quarter 2007.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Intel is a large and powerful co....if this gets to be a pricing war I just might build myself another computer that I wasn't planning to do for at least a year :whistling: it will interesting to watch this play out

JimB

JimB

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
I haven't seen a lot about the next gen of AMD- is that news getting ignored b/c intel dual core release? You think the dual core architecture will speed up the mainstreaming of 64 bit programing/applications?

How can one argue against 4 NVIDIA GPUs linked in SLI? Wouldn't the imminence of Vista and DX10 be reason to lean towards even regular SLI graphics? What about the release of blueray media? I presume we'll see drives shortly enough. Are single graphics cards going to cut it anymore?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I haven't seen a lot about the next gen of AMD- is that news getting ignored b/c intel dual core release? You think the dual core architecture will speed up the mainstreaming of 64 bit programing/applications?

not until the programmers "get up to speed" writing multi thread apps...might take a year...THEN mo speed ..mo speed ...mo speed :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Intel have been doing dual core for a while now, this is there second chip in the Duo brand.

4 GPU i can argue alot, its an utter waste of money and power, most dont need one dual gfx is for high resolution monitors because single cards arent capable of good performance at high res at least they werent they are now. DX10 should in theory make SLI obsolete because the single gpu cards are so powerful a second wont be needed, they will try to work around that withmarketing maybe underpowering cards they dont want to stop suckering people into spending more money.

ATi have started to see the writing on the wall and next gen crossfire will be able to use on GPU as a PPU instead, you can do it on a 2 slot or a new 3 slot board. Nvidia will probably try something similar with SLI but they arent as into physics as ATI is due to the Havok partnership.

AMD have kept the lid on there next gen CPUs they wont start talking until they have enough to distribute and are confident in the product and manufacturing.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
i've read that they are talking about 4 core chips already...going to ship this year.. :blink:

http://www.sfgate.co...L&type=business

if you build a system today ...it will be 4 or 5 generations back by the end of the year :whistling:

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
isn't that how it always is?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
4 or 5 is an exageration, all reports from AMD show the next K8 architecture wont be out till January 2007 at the earliest, they might rush it but they probably wont risk it. Two big tech changes are the new CPU ranges and the biggest the new direct X.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
what is directX anyway?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
DirectX is the term given to a collection of common APIs, including Direct3D, which are owned and developed by Microsoft. Simply put, DirectX is a Windows technology that enables higher performance in graphics and sound when you're playing games or watching video on your PC

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Basically its what tells your gfx card how to run a game and tells the game how to run on your system. Its totally integral to modern computer games, and high end hardware, its not strictly a windows technology it a microsoft technology but its not exclusive to them because everyone uses it and its development wasnt just through MS, DX10 was also partly developed by ATI.

DX10 boosts performance by almost 10 times in some cases especially in a well designed card to make use of it. The boost will allow developers to make big jumps in gfx quality without over burdening the system anymore than is normal, there will also be an update to DX9 as it still has potential itself dx9l will be released to allow dx9 hardware to last a little longer.

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
ohhhhhh, I see
thanks!