Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive Problems

• Please log in to reply

nbk247

nbk247

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, i'm having troubles with my DVD drive. It's a PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109. I'm able to read DVDs only by using the VLC media player, but it will not play with anything else. I have tried it with Windows Media, Quicktime, and Nero Showtime. Also when I use an unburned DVD the dvd drive icon under My Computer changes from "DVD-RW Drive (D:)" to "CD Drive (D:)". When I do use a burned DVD, right click and choose "Play" I get the error "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel." error. Yesterday I was also receiving a "D:\ is not accessible, incorrect function." error.

I have already uninstalled all of my burning software, reseeded the IDE cables, and disabled the driver completely. Is there anything else I can do before reformatting? Don't think the actual hardware is going out being it's only a year old. Not sure if this is of any relevance, but I do recall over the last couple days I have gotten a couple popup warnings from "Ad-Watch" that I didn't think were of any harm so I accepted them. But they have now stopped popping up. So I think the problem just might be in the registry somewhere...but not positive. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by nbk247, 11 June 2006 - 10:37 PM.

Advertisements

nbk247

nbk247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
just found what the Ad-watch Alarm Warnings were, got one of them to repop after I ran "msconfig" and unchecked the Startup Items. The first warning was Key: Software\Microsoft\Windos\CurrentVersion\Run Value: MsConfig New Data: C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaires\MSConfig.ex and the other had to do with DAEMON virtual driver software. The DAEMON driver software did not repop as a alarm warning though. Maybe this helps pinpoint problem. :whistling:

nbk247

nbk247

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I take it I either stumped everyone or haven't provided enough information. Can anyone help me? Please, really don't wanna reformat or buy a new dvd drive if I don't absolutely need to.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Does the drive show up in windows explorer? If you put a cd or dvd in the drive, can you navigate to it in windows explorer and read it? Does the drive show up in hardware manager? Got to start, my computer right click properties, hardware, device manager. Is there a yellow ! next to it? The answers to these questions will help determine if it is hardware related, or software (driver or possible registry fix).