Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1 comment 1 suggestion

• Please log in to reply

digikiwi

digikiwi

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Love the site and have gained heaps from it. I've been on a crash course (literally) of computer problems and G2G has accelerated my learning no end. I try to give back by answering low-level hardware questions that even I can answer, hopefully freeing up staff for more challenging matters.

Thanks G2G

1 suggestion: I suspect it is just how php forum code works, but it is annoying that the minimum search string length is 4 characters, making it impossible to search for something like "USB". Is there any way around this?

Also, would a solved tag be an idea so that when a thread is resolved this can be recognised from the menu without having to go to the last entry.

Keep up the good work

Digikiwi

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know the short string length is annoying i hit upon it every other day looking for old posts.

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
But its absolutely necessary for system stability. Queries into a database that is ~3gb is already system intensive enough, multiply that by having to search for 2-3 letter combinations, it could bring the site to a crawl. The forum software isnt optimized for that type of thing.

We mark threads as resolved in the mawlare removal forum because there is generally an ending point. We ask for a final HJT log and can tell that the user is clean, then we can mark it resolved and close it. Things are not that simple with other computer troubleshooting issues. Rather than have to re-open and change topic title repeatedly, its just easier to leave those threads open.

Its a matter of housecleaning and staff resources. Our staff is already stretched thin with all the people asking for help, to add more to their plates for no real benefit doesnt make much sense.

ScHwErV :whistling:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
To add... 4 characters is the default limit of MySQL. It can be lowered to 3, but it's a performance issue. Searching is one of the most server intensive operations a forum performs, and the larger the database, the larger the load. With the size of our database, and number of searches, a 3 character search is unfortunately not possible at this time.

digikiwi

digikiwi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
All is as I thought, but thanks for taking the time to explain re the 4 letter minimum. I've been thinking about how peole could make theiir topic headings longer or somethng but that would never work. So it remains as is.

Re the solved button option, I don't know if I agree with your argument there, but won't presume to tell you how to do your jobs or run the site - you do that very well.

Keep up the good work :whistling:

Digikiwi