Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP troubles

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am trying to install Windows XP on a machine. I boot from the CD set the partition and Windows begins installing. After it has installed everything in the DOS mode it needs, the computer reboots and should bring you to more of a GUI like screen to continue the install. Except in my case it goes through everything in DOS reboots like it should, but then goes back into the setup on the CD as if nothing was ever installed there. If you try to repair the install it says that nothing is there. So I am thoroughly confused and was looking for some help.

Thank You

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
...go through the install process again...and set up your partitions the way you would like (delete the ones already created...as i assume you're wanting a fresh clean install)...this time when it reboots....as soon as possible...eject the cd...that way it won't boot to it (the install doesn't need the cd after that first portion...and if it does...it will tell you to put it back in at the correct time)...does the install continue?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I started a fresh install, I deleted all partitions that were there. I am going to install it just on one main partition that is the full size of the drive.

After the install it rebooted and I removed the CD. It got through POST and up to where it says "Verifying DMI Pool Data........"

After sitting there for a bit it tried booting from CD (next in boot order after HD) of course nothing there, no CD in drive.

Next it went down to NVIDIA Boot Agent 201.0440
Copyright © 2001-2004 NVIDIA Corporation
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting NVIDIA Boot Agent
DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

I pute the install CD back in, pressed Enter and it went back to booting from CD and starts the install over again.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is this on a sata drive?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
No its just an IDE drive.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
ok (after posting it...i realized the question was irrellevant anyway...being that you aren't getting to the part of the install where it would matter...)
go here and get Darik's Boot and Nuke...anc create a disk (either floppy or cd) by following their instructions....run it on the drive...then try the install again (this will completely destroy any data on the hard drive...so if there's something on the drive that you're wanting to keep...do not do this)

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I belive I may have a solution for this.

What I did was I let it go through and do the install. I got to the blue DOS section and went to the screen that allows you to set partitions. I did an install on the partition again without deleting it. It gave me a message about dual OS's on same partition I OK'd through that but right before it starts to install, it asks if you want to put the new OS on the same partition or format the partition. I formatted it, took the CD out when it rebooted and now it is installing fine. I of course had to put the CD back in later on but so far so good.

Thanks for the help.