Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

How do you connect a DSL router to two computers?

• Please log in to reply

Nero777x

Nero777x

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Ok, here's the situation:
I have two computers, a Windows XP Home Edition (laptop) and a Windows ME (pc). I need to somehow connect the two together or connect both of them to the DSL router so they get the internet. There's one tiny problem, the ME is so out of date that it does not have an Ethernet card and I dont have any money to purchase an ethernet card, a router, or a hub (im 14, cant get a job either). My DSL modem is a Westell. It has two ports coming outside of its backside, 1 for USB connection and 1 for ethernet connection. I have an ethernet wire and a USB wire to connect the router to my computers. Is there a way I can plug the USB wire to my pc and the ethernet wire to my laptop and have them both recieve the internet? I've tried just doing that before and the DSL router will only supply an internet connection to the computer first turned on. :tazz:

Advertisements

chicagotech

chicagotech

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
assuming your ISP assigns only ip to your router, you can't access two computers. for more information visit http://www.howtonetworking.com