Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Add a printer to hub

• Please log in to reply

Leehaa

Leehaa

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
My managers gone away and a client has just called to say that they can't print.

They added a new printer last week - simply by pulling the old one's network cable out of the old port and putting the new one into the same port.

I think the IP addresses are static there. (I don't cover the client so am not familiar with their set-up)

I only have access to their server itself.

Any ideas on how I can get the new printer seen by the server?

HELP!!!

Leah

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if this is a network capable printer (one with a network card built in)...then it's probably assigned itself an ip address (either automatically by it's own config file or via dhcp)...hopefully it got the ip via dhcp...they either need to set it up with a static ip (the same as the other printer would work)and then install it on the print server...or they need to find it and install it on the print server with the dynamic ip (not suggested)....they should be able to find information in the manual of the printer for setting it up with a static ip (or at least for finding it's current ip)....

Leehaa

Leehaa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

if this is a network capable printer (one with a network card built in)...then it's probably assigned itself an ip address (either automatically by it's own config file or via dhcp)...hopefully it got the ip via dhcp...they either need to set it up with a static ip (the same as the other printer would work)and then install it on the print server...or they need to find it and install it on the print server with the dynamic ip (not suggested)....they should be able to find information in the manual of the printer for setting it up with a static ip (or at least for finding it's current ip)....

Thank you.

In the end, I got the user to insert the network card from the printer that had gone wrong into the "new" printer. As it happens it was fine and they can now pick up the printer that way...I'll get my manager to configure the rest when he gets back as he is the only one who has correct access rights.

Leah