Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Keeps Rebooting, Please Help

• Please log in to reply

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Funny you should mention, my computer is custom built and as far as I know, there is only one video card in it right now (ATI Radeon). But, on my desktop, I see Nvidia all the time, I think that might be my old video card.

Advertisements

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I rebooted and now I'm back on my regular desktop. What should I do now?

Thanks!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
hmmm.... so on the back of the computer....is there one place to plug in a monitor or two?

did you used to have an nvida card?

go here and download and run this program
http://www.drivercle...ofessional.html

delete ALL the nvidia drivers off your sstem and reboot

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
It looks like there are 2 slots to plug a monitor. I'm following the other instructions now. Will keep you posted. Thanks.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm deleting the Nvidia drivers right now. I got some warnings that some things might not run properly if I do delete but I deleted anyway, hope that's okay.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
so...one place down towards the bottom and one place up towards the top (near the power cord) to plug a monitor in?

can y ou do two things for me...
#1 switch the monitor up to the top vga port on the back of the computer (the one near the power cord)
#2 boot up into your bios and choose the option to restore the defaults (sometimes that's like f5 or something like that)

now try to boot into safe mode

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Are you familiar with LianLi casings? That's the one I have. The monitor slots are actually side by side.

Also, after removing my Nvidia drivers and restarting my computer. It's detecting new hardware?! Something for an SM Bus Controller. And I am tring to run the installation, but it cannot seem to find the software to install it. What is it and should I ignore?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
not a clue...hmmm...

but...when there are two places for you to plug in a monitor...well then there's two video cards..i would prefer to assume that you've got one that's built into the motherboard and one that's well...not built into the motherboard...is this the case...or do you have two that are not built into the board?

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi, I'm running the driver cleaner right now. Only for nVidia right? Also, I'm worried about that SM Bus Controller hardware thing, is that something I need? Cuz it didn't get installed after my restart from deleting the Nvidia drivers.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
I'm not aware of any video cards built into my motherboard. The only video card I'm aware of is my ATI Radeon 9800XT.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

It looks like there are 2 slots to plug a monitor

what's up with this then?

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Not sure. I think nVidia was my old card that I switched out for the Radeon. Okay, I'm uninstalled on that drivers and did the Cleaner, I'm going to see if Safe Mode works.

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
What should I do about this SM Bus Contoller hardware thing, I don't even know what it is.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we'll work on that in a second...

still dind't answer my question...if there are two places to plug a monitor in...thre must be two video cards....why are there two video cards? are they both PCI cards? or is one agp and one pci? or is one in fact built into the motherboard?

felinne

felinne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Okay, just tried to reboot in Safe Mode again and the same thing happened. The "commands" that scroll through say something like multidisk rdisk partition system 32 and definitely drivers. Same Input Signal Screen and same Power Management countdown.

I have no clue why I have 2 slots. Let's just say that I much more savvy person put this computer together. Should I switch my monitor plug to the other slot and see what happens??