Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First upgrade - RAM

• Please log in to reply

BARROS

BARROS

• PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Hello,

I am wanting to upgrade my computer to 1024MB of RAM, I currently have one DIMM of 512MB PC3200 RAM.

Could someone please assist me in choosing another 512MB RAM DIMM.

If you need any information regarding my system, let me know in this topic :whistling:

Thank you :blink:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
www.crucial.com they have a ram advisor where you put in your system specs and it tells you what is compatible and they will offer you ram at a pretty good price which you can buy from them...or you can take that info and search for ram of that type..

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
OK, I will give that a try.

What is better though - Crucial or Corsair?

:whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
corsair is rated as one of the highest on the list right now...they make a pretty good product....crucial is part of Micron who also makes good equipment....but...the final decision is almost always up to price....generally i try to stick with kensington, corsair, or crucial when i buy ram...(which i don't do often...sooo...)

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
OK Cheers,

I think im gona go with the crucial ram because they set all your system specs out for you and tell you what is compatible with your computer.

Cheers.

Is 1024MB of RAM enough for a user that plays WoW, uses dreamweaver, photoshop and so on? :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i gig of ram is usually good enough to do most things... to my knowledge a gig is far above the minimum requirements for each of those programs individually....you might see issues if you attempt to run all three at once though

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well i can run dreamweaver and photoshop with my current system pretty well but sometimes its kinda slow.(512MB RAM)

I need to upgrade my RAM for those programs and mainly for WoW :whistling:

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
For programs like Photoshop, Firewords, Dreamweaver, etc. the more RAM you have the better. Right now I only have 1 gig but considering I'm going into college with a desired graphic design majoring, I will most definantly be upgrading to 2 gigs before I leave.

Don't go with Crucial JUST because they have a finder thing. Let it tell you the specs of the memory you need then search NewEgg for a good priced stick (preferably from Corsair or Crucial.)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Don't go with Crucial JUST because they have a finder thing. Let it tell you the specs of the memory you need then search NewEgg for a good priced stick (preferably from Corsair or Crucial.)

that's generally more why i suggest to go to the crucial website...so that you can verify the exact specs of the supported ram...to make shopping around easier in the sea of numbers...you're deffinitely not tied to buying the ram from crucial..

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Well I had a look around and i can get a 512MB RAM chip that is the exact same as one of the ones that was "recommended" by crucial on ebay for about £20 which is cheap :whistling:

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Just opinion, I would NEVER buy electronics/computer things from eBay. Unless the person is well liked (feedback) and has a return policy, think twice, if not three times if you plan on buying from them.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Point Taken...(BARROS removes the item from his watched list on My Ebay :whistling: )

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Can someone please recommend some PC3200 DDR 512MB RAM modules please :whistling:

My price range is between £20 - £30 or $36 - $55 (approximate convertions)

Thank you

Edited by BARROS, 12 June 2006 - 04:16 PM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Personally I recommend any of these:
http://www.newegg.co...SubCategory=147

If you are going to get one of those and don't mind the $55 equivalent, get the Corsair XMS, it's higher quality, therefore, will do the job better. My two cents.

BARROS

BARROS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
Done a bit of looking around on the internet and found this RAM Module - http://www.ebuyer.co.../rb/19781651178

Is that a worthy buy?? :whistling: (its within my budget)