Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

• Please log in to reply

Networkman

Networkman

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello,

i have recently had my computer networked up via a BT Voyager 205 ADSL router and a problem has occured.

1- I am on the net or playing Online Games such as Call of duty and for some reason the DSL light on my router starts flickering (its normal Solid) and i lose connection to the internet... it comes back after like 30 secs but that means i have lost all the hard work i have put into my game. I am not sure what it is but i realy need some help.

2- Also i try to run a Teamspeak server of my computer and when i get my ip via the program which runs the Teamspeak its says my IP is 192 . something and when i give it to people to join it doesnt work... so i tried getting it off some website and it came up with a 82. something IP and it looked like the ip i had when i had a modem and it worked when i had a modem. So wh i give the 82. something IP to my friends it still doesnt work. I have tryed switching my firewall off and it doesnt make a difference... my friend says it has something to do with the router.

Help with these 2 problem is gr8ly Appreciated

Thanks for you time in Advance

Advertisements

Networkman

Networkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Anyone Help

adavi221

adavi221

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
your modem has a firewall as well

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Well I'm not sure why you would randomly disconnect, but I know that for a teamspeak server you need to go to your router configuration and open port 8767 udp incoming in order for people to connect to your server. The clients need to type in your 82... address and when you are specifying in your router config under the "virtual server" section the udp port, you need to also specify the local address to the computer that the server is running on. To find this go to the pc with the server on it and click start, run, type cmd, click ok. Now at the command prompt type ipconfig /all and hit enter. Look for IP address........192.168....... and that is the private ip you need to enter in the router config. Basically this is what my teamspeak server router config looks like:

enable: check the checkbox
description: teamspeak (or anything you want to call it)
Inbound Port: 8767-8767
Type: UDP
Private IP: 192.168.2.98
Private Port: 8767-8767

You cannot give anyone your private ip to connect over the internet, because this is your local network ip range. That's the address you should use to connect to your server from your own network and others should use your public 82...... address.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Networkman

Networkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hey Thanks Jon, that was some nice help mate. I sorted out my disconnect problem,

Also i was wondering i am having the same problem with making my own call of duty server any help with that mate ?

Thanks

Networkman

Networkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Jonny i tryed that port switching but mine is different .... i dont suppose you could show me some screenies of what to do or something like that... Please

Thanks

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ahh!! A friend of mine has the same random disconnecting problem with his Voyager 205... how did you resolve this please??? :tazz:

Thanks!! ;)

parrapatheslapper

parrapatheslapper

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi all

I am having a problem too, with my 205 router randomly disconnecting. I have tried to ask AOL (my isp) but to no avail, you mentioned above that you fixed your disconnect problem, can you tell me how
thanks

absalon

absalon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im having the same problem with my Voyager 205 randomly disconnecting, if anyone knows how to solve this please e-mail me [email protected]

I really need help

Cheers

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey guys,

I also use the BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router and......yep u guessed it...... i have the same problem - randomly disconnecting..

I believe i know why the router does this: OverHeating.
I dunno if u hav noticed but the box runs HOT alot of the time and this is why it randomly disconnects

i have tried taking it apart to install some sort of device/fan to cool the box down but have had no luck: although i know how to take it apart, i dont want to force anything.... :tazz:

also,

i dont understand about the IP adresses ;) the local machine, virtual one, subnet mask aaarrrghhh its all confusing

cya

Advertisements

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Can I ask a quick question.. are all of you guys using the USB connection?

Because word has it, changing to ethernet makes the thing a lot more stable as it no longer has to operate as a peripheral of the PC. I haven't tested this yet, as I haven't been back round there. But let me know!!

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
yeah, dunno about others but i'm using USB.

but I heard that the ethernet port was only designed for use with gaming consoles eg ps2 and xbox....

but anyway..

cya

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
No def not - the instructions state not to remove the sticker which covers the USB port unless you don't have an ethernet card. And the installation wizard scans for an ethernet controller before going through the process.

I would say try ethernet (if you have a NIC in your PC).

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, after a brief research of the voyager 205 i believe u r right.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hey http://www.portforwa...tforwarding.htm mite be usefull to any of u attempting to forward any ports also i think it may be aswell to simply use the dmz which is a big security whole but at the same time if u run alot of applications using alot of ports it will save u time i think it briefely explains about the dmz anyway hope this helps with ur server problems.

james