Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

• Please log in to reply

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes I also have this problem!!

As for overheating - I'm not sure..

It only happens to me when I play Call of Duty!! ONLY!!!

Random.....

I have to reboot it to get it working again...!!

I use a DMZ and have a software firewall.....but I don't think that has anything to do with it....

NO idea why it happens!!??

Anyone have a solution or is this just another crappy BT product???

:tazz:

Advertisements

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Ok, I finally solved this. (Although I'm not sitting with the router now so I can't give specific instructions, sorry - but it's not hard to find)..

Look for the anti-intrusion option within the routers advanced settings at it's http interface, and simply disable it.

It seemed to me that when any traffic, in or outbound, was taking place on a non-standard port (such as online gaming, p2p sharing, etc) then the connection between the router itself and the pc was blocked for a period of 30 seconds to a minute.

I confirmed this by pinging the routers local IP from the PC and it stopped responding for 30 seconds or so once I fired up a p2p program. After closing, the replies started again after a brief delay.

Also - it has been recommended that the router be connected via ethernet where possible as this stops it from becoming a peripheral of the PC and therefore needing resources from the PC itself, but that's just a side-note really.

Hope this helps!!!

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Ok, I finally solved this.  (Although I'm not sitting with the router now so I can't give specific instructions, sorry - but it's not hard to find)..

Look for the anti-intrusion option within the routers advanced settings at it's http interface, and simply disable it.

It seemed to me that when any traffic, in or outbound, was taking place on a non-standard port (such as online gaming, p2p sharing, etc) then the connection between the router itself and the pc was blocked for a period of 30 seconds to a minute.

I confirmed this by pinging the routers local IP from the PC and it stopped responding for 30 seconds or so once I fired up a p2p program.  After closing, the replies started again after a brief delay.

Also - it has been recommended that the router be connected via ethernet where possible as this stops it from becoming a peripheral of the PC and therefore needing resources from the PC itself, but that's just a side-note really.

Hope this helps!!!

View Post

Nope - that doesn't work....for me anyway, still disconnects....

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
True.. after a couple of days my friend called me to say he still had the problem. Back to the drawing board.... sorry guys.

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Valiante,Apr 16 2005, 01:10 AM]True..  after a couple of days my friend called me to say he still had the problem.  Back to the drawing board....  sorry guys.

View Post

I guess it's just due to crappy BT 205 Voyager... buy a better modem/router is possibly the solution?

Then again only happens during CoD for me so..... software/settings?

Edited by poindextermatic, 16 April 2005 - 07:49 AM.

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
can u buy another modem but stay with ur current ISP

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Of course you can. I personally recommend the Netgear ADSL Modem Router

ultimo

ultimo

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Does it have any errors or faults
and does it run hot or cool or err in the middle

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have lack of personal experience with this device as I'm a Cable internet user at home. But we supply this model to our business users and haven't had any complaints so far.

sporty_diva

sporty_diva

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello I wonder if any one can help me. My dad has just got one of these bt voyager 205 routers and has read your messages about it being "unstable".
My dad is now wondering whether or not it is worth using this router as it may be a waste of time. Is there anything good about this router or is it really just "crap"!!! ;)

Please please could you help me cus my dad wont leave me alone til I know something about this router.

Advertisements

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi Sporty - I know where you're coming from, I have family on my case all the time simply because it's what I do for a living.

Personally I feel that the Voyager 205 is a pile of poop. That doesn't go for all BT Voyager products, just the 205. I have some experience with a 105 ADSL Modem and that seems very stable.

However, given the low price of the higher-quality routers available, such as the Netgear product I mentioned above I would simply replace BT's product with something I bought myself.

That's just my 2p.

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Wow you guys and girls, I really wish I had some helpful news for you. I have absolutely "NO" experience with this certain router and it seems that many others all over the net are having this same problem without a fix. I would really be interested in knowing how to fix this as well. If this ever gets solved please someone PM me! I'll keep an eye out as well :tazz: Has anyone talked to the manufacturer?

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

absalon

absalon

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I gave up in the end and bought a Linksys adsl2mue from NICKKNOWS.com cost £42 and my connection hasn't dropped once. :tazz:

[MC] Valiante

[MC] Valiante

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
And that proves my point. I firmly believe there is NO solution to this problem. As far as I'm concerned it's a design flaw, and I know for a fact you won't get BT to admit that or do anything about it.

All they do is perpetual line tests, naturally with no results as its the link between PC & router that drops, not router & adsl.

Just go buy a decent router and be done with it - I would, every time.

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
You shouldn't have to buy a new router though, thats the point. BT should give you a fully usable router, yes it's supposed to be free but the cost of the BB sure pays for it...
Saying that, the last few times I've played CoD its not happened.... or maybe it did and I didn't notice because I'm so used to it.

EDIT: Mmm no scrap that - still happening... guess I'll have to stick my hand in may pocket and pull out a wad of money... :tazz:

Edited by poindextermatic, 30 April 2005 - 06:36 AM.