Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

• Please log in to reply

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Right, got the Xbox side of things working last night......... ;)

Here's the solution:

http://btbroadband.c...hZ2U9MQ**&p_li=

If the above does not work, goto http://www.btyahoo.com/helpbb , Select Support, then under more help select "Broadband from BT" Online Support.

Enter the keyword of xbox and search ALL FAQS.  You should now get the following result : "How do I configure my BT Voyager 205 router to work with an Xbox Live console?"

Job done......Sorted.

Hope this helps  :tazz:

View Post

Advertisements

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts
X BOX PROBS,,,,...Hi everyone i had some probs with getting my xbox sorted properly with this router, i first set up my xbox live account by using the auto set up on the xbox, this seemed to work ok but after a while i noticed that when trying to join groups of people online that very often id be told that,THE TEAM/GROUP,ETC WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE! myself and mates found that there were a lot of people who can never be in in the same team together..(even when there's space) the xbox live team told me this was a (N.A.T) problem, the setting should be (1) to play with everyone...If it is 2 or 3 then other people with the same settings cant play together online,THIS IS EASY TO SORT AND REMEDY! ;) .To check your N.A.T settings via the xbox turn on your router, then pop open the xbox tray,go to settings & press A.then to network settings & press A.then to connect & press A.when the 4 green circles have lit green press Y.then A. it should read MT:1- IC:1-NT:1. if the NT (NATsettings) reads 2 or 3 then you are limited,,as explained above).(Mine was 3) K3nw00d has shown a link on his post from BT about how to configure the router for xbox (this is done manually and is easy but i still had (NT:3).! :tazz: ! after WEEKS i EVENTUALLY got thru to a guy at bt who when told of the prob, told me that when you follow the BT online guide for manual set up ,instead of entering (50) in the rule id box enter (1) i did this and now my NT (after doing the above xbox check) reads 1! HOORAY! ;). (If you have previously made a dmz as the easy to follow bt online guide says and have NT 2 or 3, then u must delete that one before redoing it ,with the (1) in place of (50) in the rule id box, YOU WILL NOW BE FREE TO JOIN ANYONE ON XBOX LIVE & HAVE ANYONE JOIN YOU!! Spread the word HALLELUJAH! If this just helps 1 person then it,ll be worth it! ......................

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
That's very nice for you mate....

But this thread is not about your 'Xbox', it's about the 205 dropping it's connection/crashing - not getting it to work with an Xbox... it really has no significance here...

:tazz:

Edited by poindextermatic, 25 May 2005 - 11:18 AM.

Abubu

Abubu

• Pip
  • 1 posts
lol I cannot believe all of this

I just been trying to get a friend to help me with my gay annoying Voyager

and then i come accross this thread @@

Edited by Abubu, 26 May 2005 - 12:07 AM.

camladuk

camladuk

• Pip
  • 1 posts
To networkman,
hey dude, i have had the same problem when trying to use symantec pcanywhere. What this problem is based around, is because you have the availability of being able to connect more then one machine at a time, the router must be told where internet traffic needs to go (even if there is only one machine connected to the router at a time!)

Routers are just that, the route where traffic needs to go, and to what machine to send the spacific data to. So, in order to run any kind of server or run any kind of internet based programe that will reqire inbound traffic to be authorised by a host machine, you must first set up the ports on your router. The defult address on your router is 192.168.1.1 or just type in voyager.home in your internet browsers address window. Then you must click the advanced tab and enter the defult username and password as admin (thats admin for usrname and admin for pasword). You can also change these at a later date to make your router more secure. I don;t know aough about these routers, but i am learning more stuff all the time. What i advise you to do is to call the voyager helpline, which bt broadband or btyahoo will be able to put you through to or give you the number for. Either way, you must get some sort of professional help with this as i am only familiar with the pcanywhere settings that i got from the symantec website.

I hope that goes to answer some of your questions at least!!

camladuke-mail: [email protected]

:tazz: ;) ;) :)

Edited by camladuk, 26 May 2005 - 11:58 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HI, I just got an NIC to use the ethernet cable for my 205 router because whenever i would use bittorrent my connection timed out and the usb light went out and required a system reboot, its now gone for ages no bother so anyone else with the same problem try the ethernet.

The ethernet in general though has increased the stability so its agood idea and the router seem a bit cooler although its still hot enough to fry your breakfast on in the mornin its a bloody fire risk thats what it is.

But now my problem, i cant seem to either fordward the ports on the router or dmz it or set up a working static ip adress to allow port fordwarding. Has anyone succesfully mangaged to fordward there ports on the router. If anyone has an explanation would be very much appreciated, preferably with screenies i get confused easily. Allthough im good with computers the whole networking thing is a bit of an iffy bit for me i really cant get ip ranges my brain melts and dribbles out my ears.

So if any one can help, please do. But definately use the ethernet connection when you can it is much less flakey with it.

k3nw00d

k3nw00d

• Pip
  • 4 posts

X BOX PROBS,,,,...Hi everyone i had some probs with getting my xbox sorted properly with this router,  i first set up my xbox live account by using the auto set up on the xbox, this seemed to work ok but after a while  i noticed that when trying to join groups of people online that very often id be told that,THE TEAM/GROUP,ETC WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE! myself and mates found that there were a lot of people who can never be in in the same team together..(even when there's space) the xbox live team told me this was a (N.A.T) problem, the setting should be (1) to play with everyone...If it is 2 or 3 then other people with  the same settings cant play together online,THIS IS EASY TO SORT AND REMEDY! :) .To check your N.A.T settings via the xbox turn on your router, then pop open the xbox tray,go to settings & press A.then to network settings & press A.then to connect & press A.when the 4 green circles have lit green press  Y.then A. it should read MT:1- IC:1-NT:1. if the NT (NATsettings) reads 2 or 3  then you are limited,,as explained above).(Mine was 3) K3nw00d has shown a link on his post from BT about how to configure the router for xbox (this is done manually and is easy but i still had  (NT:3).! :) ! after WEEKS i EVENTUALLY got thru to a guy at bt who when told of the prob, told me that when you follow the BT online guide for manual set up ,instead of entering (50) in the rule id box enter (1) i did this and now my NT (after doing the above xbox check) reads 1! HOORAY! :). (If you have previously made a dmz as the easy to follow bt online guide says and have NT 2 or 3, then u must delete that one before redoing it ,with the (1) in place of (50) in the rule id box, YOU WILL NOW BE FREE TO JOIN ANYONE ON XBOX LIVE & HAVE ANYONE JOIN YOU!! Spread the word HALLELUJAH! If this just helps 1 person then it,ll be worth it! ......................

View Post

:tazz: TOP POST !!!!! ;)

My Mates were just having the same problem a couple of days ago and we found the MT NT IC to be other than 1 1 1.

After reading your post.......ALL SORTED !!!! I'm a very happy man now...

But this post is for BT Problems, not XBOX........even though the root of the problems ALWAYS points to the BT Router !

Cheers again mate, very useful ;)

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a possible solution to the router/computer communication problem.

I was having the same trouble, after my connection had been open for a while my pc would lose contact with the 205, requiring a full reboot before I could get my conection back. After at least 7 phone calls to BT technical support, I got them to admit that there is a fault, although not with the router itself, rather the routers own firewall.

To disable the routers firewall:

reboot your system, then open your web browser. In the address bar enter:
This will open the BT Voyager Configuration Manager. Click 'advanced' then 'advanced' again. It will ask you for your username and password, unless you have specified you own the default for both username and password is: admin

in the side bar click 'security' then at the top click 'Intrusion Protection', click 'disable' then 'apply'.

Before doing this my connection had held for an hour at most before my pc lost the 205, as I'm typing this it is now at 21hrs connected so it seems to work for me. I'm using the ethernet connection, I don't know if this will work for USB users.

The explanation BT gave me was that the routers firewall is faulty, and can be triggered by perfectly legitimate and clean data entering the router, at which point it drops contact with your 'puter. The reason Bittorrent or p2p users experiance this loss of connection to the 205 more frequently than others is because of the amount of data being recieved. The more data, the more chance of the 205's firewall being false triggered.

Hope this helps

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I think someone elase has already mentioned that...didn't work for me, even with a DMZ too...
:tazz:
I've totally given up anyway, I'm just living with the fact I have to keep rebooting the modem when playing CoD UO...
Need to get a new one...

Tommy316

Tommy316

• Pip
  • 1 posts

X BOX PROBS,,,,...Hi everyone i had some probs with getting my xbox sorted properly with this router,  i first set up my xbox live account by using the auto set up on the xbox, this seemed to work ok but after a while  i noticed that when trying to join groups of people online that very often id be told that,THE TEAM/GROUP,ETC WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE! myself and mates found that there were a lot of people who can never be in in the same team together..(even when there's space) the xbox live team told me this was a (N.A.T) problem, the setting should be (1) to play with everyone...If it is 2 or 3 then other people with  the same settings cant play together online,THIS IS EASY TO SORT AND REMEDY! ;) .To check your N.A.T settings via the xbox turn on your router, then pop open the xbox tray,go to settings & press A.then to network settings & press A.then to connect & press A.when the 4 green circles have lit green press  Y.then A. it should read MT:1- IC:1-NT:1. if the NT (NATsettings) reads 2 or 3  then you are limited,,as explained above).(Mine was 3) K3nw00d has shown a link on his post from BT about how to configure the router for xbox (this is done manually and is easy but i still had  (NT:3).! :tazz: ! after WEEKS i EVENTUALLY got thru to a guy at bt who when told of the prob, told me that when you follow the BT online guide for manual set up ,instead of entering (50) in the rule id box enter (1) i did this and now my NT (after doing the above xbox check) reads 1! HOORAY! ;). (If you have previously made a dmz as the easy to follow bt online guide says and have NT 2 or 3, then u must delete that one before redoing it ,with the (1) in place of (50) in the rule id box, YOU WILL NOW BE FREE TO JOIN ANYONE ON XBOX LIVE & HAVE ANYONE JOIN YOU!! Spread the word HALLELUJAH! If this just helps 1 person then it,ll be worth it! ......................

View Post

Where is the BT Online Guide For Manual Setup?

I tried doing it at http://voyager.home I changed the rule id but on my Xbox Dashboard I still have "NT:3"

onibaba, where is BT Online Guide for Manual Setup?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Since i put in a network card i havent had the disconnect problem i couldnt get my router to DMZ set it all up the way it said to and nothing happened so ive given up my only problem now is getting it to start.
Has anyone tried the wireless big brother of the 205 is it better.

poindextermatic

poindextermatic

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
this is apparently the big daddy we all need:

http://wehavethings....php?xProd=12165

that's what I'm getting ASAP anyway...

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Tommy! hi sorry 4 the wait but i had probs finding it again myself!!! ;) right here we go......... 1. visit www.bt.com.... 2.click (at home) at the top of the bt page... 3. click on (internet & broadband) on the left of the page ,....... 4.click (broadband from bt) from left page, this should bring up the package prices .. 5.(click help and support),,... 6. under where it says (need help with your broadband) click (bt broadband)... 7.then in the panel ( broadband f.a.q's) click on (visit f.a.q's)... 8.where it says (search by keyword) enter the word XBOX in the empty box along side the bit that says (1.enter keywords).. 9.click the RED (search button),, there should be 1 result called (1.How do i configure my bt voyager to work with an xbox live console) click on to that and there you go! ,,, I NEVER touched a pc till the end of last year,, and i managed it ok but remember you will have to cancel the current DMZ (if there is one). AND REMEMBER WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO PUT (50) INTHE RULE ID BOX DONT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PUT IN (1) Hope this gets you sorted mate,, best wishes & happy gaming! :tazz: ,Onibaba.. Nige..

gingabiskit

gingabiskit

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Where is the BT Online Guide For Manual Setup?

View Post

here is the link for the manual setup guide:

BT online manual setup

Edited by gingabiskit, 17 June 2005 - 04:16 AM.

onibaba

onibaba

• Pip
  • 6 posts
;) *Pats Gingabiskit on the shoulder* ;) :tazz: ! there you go tommy! (theres always someone more bleedin clever aint there) !