Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem With BT Voyager 205 ADSL Router

• Please log in to reply

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh definatly wouldnt use the bt voyager, bt should stick to what there good at which clearly isnt hardward, or adsl in my oppinion anyway im sure they are much the same but i do highly reccomend dlink not had any probs with my dlink 504t.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
For the price of a new router its easy replaced and since bt is pretty much the cheapest provider that offers a 2meg line it is worth just getting a new router, and they arent something that will go out of date quickly either so for 20 to 80 quid its a worth while investment to get the most out of your broadband. A new router will make your internet faster( well at least appear faster). Belkin are also good us robotics get the best reviews as well.

CiderMark

CiderMark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As I said previously, perhaps I have been lucky with my 205 ;)

There is plenty of information and help out there in www-land most of it useful when it is read carefully. Unfortunately this forum is one of the least helpful :tazz:

I have had no problems at all. My 205 has been up and supplying access to my web server, ftp server and mail server for, so far, just under 6 months.

I strongly suggest you read and carefully follow the advice I found in Hacking The BT Voyager 205 and http://www.portforward.com before rushing out and spending more of your hard earned bucks on another modem.

Also installing latest firmware (1.6) which can be downloaded from BT Voyager 205 Firmware Upgrade may be useful.

If you experience problems with the http interface to the unit, it is probably due to caching of the pages. Try using the 'direct' links that Cor has added to his 'Hacking...' page above.

From all this I've learnt a great deal about networking, routers, firewalls and have ended up with a very stable, reliable and safe -firewalled- unit. :)

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
hi thanks mark your posting, it is much appreciated, however if users have bad experiance with a product such as the bt voyager 205 then they are expected to give bad ratings and such advice that has been given, maybe you have a newer revision of it but i have found problems with this product pasted all over the internet, and the main factor with the voyager is the heat it generates i went to a customars house some months ago and found that his had infact burnt a big scold mark in the desk thats how hot they get, anyways thanks for posting and im glad to hear that some do have sucess with this product.

kind regards james.

zhapeye

zhapeye

• Pip
  • 9 posts

As I said previously, perhaps I have been lucky with my 205  ;)

There is plenty of information and help out there in www-land most of it useful when it is read carefully. Unfortunately this forum is one of the least helpful   :tazz:

I have had no problems at all. My 205 has been up and supplying access to my web server, ftp server and mail server for, so far, just under 6 months.

I strongly suggest you read and carefully follow the advice I found in Hacking The BT Voyager 205 and http://www.portforward.com before rushing out and spending more of your hard earned bucks on another modem.

Also installing latest firmware (1.6) which can be downloaded from BT Voyager 205 Firmware Upgrade may be useful.

If you experience problems with the http interface to the unit, it is probably due to caching of the pages. Try using the 'direct' links that Cor has added to his 'Hacking...' page above.

From all this I've learnt a great deal about networking, routers, firewalls and have ended up with a very stable, reliable and safe -firewalled- unit.  :)

View Post

[no flaming]

Edited by admin, 04 August 2005 - 09:09 AM.

CiderMark

CiderMark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
[no flaming]

Since neither, Norton AV, McAfee AV and Grisoft AVG can find a virus in the binary and the binary is uploaded to the modem not executed on your PC, you probably got it from one of the many p0rn sites you probably visit!

I normally have a lot of sympathy for anyone or gets caught out by a virus but in your case :tazz:

Oh - and read the manual - don't just blame others fr your inadequacies.

Edited by admin, 04 August 2005 - 09:12 AM.

zhapeye

zhapeye

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Obviously a lot more than you, zhapeye. Unless you got the firmware update from somewhere else, the link I gave was to the BT web site!
I guess that you are either a complete f**king moron or just can't read properly.

Since neither, Norton AV, McAfee AV and Grisoft AVG can find a virus in the binary and the binary is uploaded to the modem not executed on your PC, you probably got it from one of the many p0rn sites you probably visit!

I normally have a lot of sympathy for anyone or gets caught out by a virus but in your case  :)

Oh - and read the manual - don't just blame others fr your inadequacies.

View Post

cidermark i am so very sorry for the post i made, yes you are right i got the virus elsewhere not from your help and advice, while i was tracing back the source i misread the description and went to wrong folder, infact the worm came from a program i dloaded kapersky antivirus from limewire, yes you are right it is totaly my fault, and of course people on here know alot more than me thats why i acme here looking for advice.
so guys im am sorry if i made this forum a foulup with my bad temper towards
cidermark, so i will leave now with my head held low ;) .

once again cidermark im sorry and hope that you can forgive me :tazz:

Edited by zhapeye, 04 August 2005 - 05:55 AM.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
thats for sourting this out between yourselves, anyway lets put that little episode behind us all and move on there is no need for anyone to leave just learn from there mistakes. thanks

zhapeye

zhapeye

• Pip
  • 9 posts
oh well the voyager modem has been thrown away, i just had ntl install cable for me and i am having no probs what so ever, if BT want to keep customers they should rethink about what routers/modems they should use the voyager is just a bad memory for me now.

P.S what does read the manual mean? :tazz:

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh as i preveously said the voyager is not one of my favoured routers and as for read the manual it means, READ THE ******* MANUAL, lol anyways glad to hear youve got you internet connection sourted :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well they are still the cheapest around for a 2meg line and easiest ot get for most people so i doubt they will be changing them.

Craybo89

Craybo89

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi all!
I've been having the problem with the 205 disconnecting me approximately every 5 minutes or so for the past 3 weeks. today I got on the phone to BT, they were determined to make me believe that it was not a problem with the router, they said it was probably a problem with the line. In the end though I got them to send me a new voyager 205 (which will probably break in another 6 months). It was great to hear them say "Yeh, it probably is a probelm with the router." and admitting it was their fault.

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
so people keep saying how cheep the voyagers are they are not that cheao look at this for example

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=48449

and then this for a wireless router

http://www.ebuyer.co...oduct_uid=52629

yes these are a generic make but before my trusty dlink i had one similar and paid about £25 for it and it lasted 2 years, id much rather have one of these over bt voyager, and as for the returns policy ebuyer will take em back if u find faults, so as you can see the voyager i not so wonderfully cheap.

james

Networkman

Networkman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
But it seems to me that the problem with the game side to the routers is something to do with NAT (Network Address Translate) I am not sure if you can switch it off with other routers but with the Voyager when you switch it off, you lose connectivity to the internet.

Any how that router posted last looks ok and i may just buy it ... or the other option would be to revert back to using a Modem and buying a Network Switch/Hub and just routing the internet through that. The problem with BT customers with the last option is that BT supply a modem which is powered by USB and the internet is fed through the USB to the computer so you would have to buy a new Modem that has Ethernet Port.

Thanks

The one

The one

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
yeh thats true but gaming priblems is generally due to port forwarding and generally doesnt effect gaming unless u host, u can always enable the dmz, effectively turning it into a ethernet modem, but hat of course comes with a big security whole, also u can share the usb modem connection over the network but then the computer with the usb modem on it would have to be on for other computers to gain internet access.

Edited by The one, 17 August 2005 - 05:37 PM.