Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

having trouble reformating windows xp

• Please log in to reply

Melz

Melz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Iam having trouble reformating my computer iam using windows xp each time i go to reformat in just normal ntfs mode it goes to 99% and stops there i dont know why i tried pulling out my usb devices but still gets caught on 99% so each time i have to do quick ntfs reformat if someone can help me out plz would be very appreciated.. :whistling:

Advertisements

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey there Melz, welcome to Geeks to Go Forums.

What method are you suing to formatt the drive?? Are you going through windows to format or did you put in the XP disk and use the installtion method?

Is the drive your main drive (With windows installed on it) or an extra drive, is the drive partitioned?

Cool :whistling:

Melz

Melz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank u very much i put the Xp Cd in then i use the instalation method when i restart the computer and the drive iam reformating on is the normal drive, but i have 2 partitiones other drive is just for back up

Spike

Spike

nOoB

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts
Hey again Melz, you do you want to install windows?

Does quick format work? Or is it just the full format. If you wish to do a full format a quick format can preform the same things just faster. Also do you have 2 drives or just 2 partitions? If you have two partitions try installing windows on the backup drive, just when the format screen comes up in the windows installtion select the "Keep drive as normal", instead of preforming a format. From there you can copy over your backup files to the other partition and use the 2nd as your main drive.

Or another option I woud give is if there is not that improtant data on the back up drive you can delete the partitions and start fresh.

Sorry for all the questions, I just need to understand what you want to do. Just give me a bit more information on what you exactly want to do, like do you just want to format the drive??

Cool :whistling: