Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection dropping

• Please log in to reply

ssilk

ssilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Hey Dan,

I haven't heard back from you in a while so I thought I'd check in again.

I've been trying the IPconfig release & renew method, and it actually does work sometimes, though not all times. When it does work, it seems like it takes a while for some apps to pick up on the fact that there's an internet connection again. ICQ comes back online almost immediately, but MSN and Internet Explorer don't work for about another 2-3 minutes after that. Either way, it does work... sometimes. Other times, not at all. Again, it seems to work just as often regardless of whether I'm wired/ not wired.

My roomate (computer Akiva) is out of town again right now, and I'm still losing my connection, although I she did leave her computer on. My connection was down right before I wrote this post, and I checked eventvwr. The only error it seemed to have since I last used the internet last night was one from W32Time saying it could not sync the time.

One other thing: My above-mentioned roomate is actually moving out in the next 1-2 weeks, so when she does, it will just be me in the house for about a month, which should settle the issue of whether it's a conflict with her computer or not.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks.

Advertisements

ssilk

ssilk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I'm not sure if this topic is still being looked at, but I'll throw this out there:

A little after my last post (so about 3 weeks ago maybe), I was updating Zone Alarm, the firewall that I use, and I noticed that under Firewall, the internet security zone was set to High. Just to try it out, I moved this down to medium. I haven't dropped a connection since, until today when I lost my connection with the following eventvwr message immediately following:

Your computer has lost the lease to its IP address 192.168.1.100 on the Network Card with network address 000F3D524279.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

I think this was just one of those funny wireless glitches because I tried to repair my connection, which didn't work, then I unplugged my wireless card and plugged in my ethernet cable, and got a connection immediately, which usually did not work in the past.

On a related topic, once I was connected again, I went into my router settings, and noticed there were three computers connected, when I know there should only be two (me and my roomate). One of them had no name listed, and the MAC address did not match either my ethernet card or my wireless card. I refreshed the router page a few minutes later, and now both my ethernet card, and this other mystery MAC address are listed as having the name of my computer (Simon). So, according to this, my computer is regestering two MAC address with my router simultaneously. Should I concerned about this?

I am using WPA-PSK wireless.

Thanks.