Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cant access system restore due to group policy

• Please log in to reply

shredR

shredR

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hey guys...
on my other computer my brother got that stupid msn virus... the problem that im actually having is turning off system restore on that computer.. im using xp sp2 but when i go into my computers properties it doesnt have system restore.. i then went into accesaries and found system restore but when i tried to open it up it comes up with this message.

"System restore has been turned off by a group policy. To turn on system restore contact your domain administrator"

Im on a home network, using a router. How can i give permission to my other computer to access system restore.. i Know how to fix the virus but i need to disable system restore..

Thanks

Advertisements

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Are you using XP Professional or Home? In XP Professional you can click Start, Run, and type gpedit.msc and you can set group policies. In Home edition, you cannot run the group policy snap in. If this doesn't work, then maybe we should look at a Hijack This log to help clear up any other infections you may have that are doing this.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz: