Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant boot into windows xp normally

• Please log in to reply

xp_even

xp_even

• PipPip
  • 68 posts
Whenever I start my PC,the windows welcome screen appears .After that, a black screen informing that windows could not start normally appears and it shows other boot options like safe mode,safe mode with command prompt..etc.When I choose the option to boot in the last known state,it again comes back to the same screen.I think some sysytem files have become corrupt.
Urgent help wanted!!

Advertisements

CJIS

CJIS

• PipPipPip
  • 474 posts
Have you got the original Windows disk, if so run a recovery.

Edited by CJIS, 13 June 2006 - 12:00 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi xp_even...

What is the make and model of your machine?

Have you tried the other options from the options screen? Particularly "Safe Mode" and "Safe Mode with Command Prompt"?

wannabe1

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi,first of all ,thanks guys(CJIS & wannabe1) for responding.I am not very familiar to recovery console.Could you give me detailed info about the procedures to follow?
I have the windows xp professional cd,from which I installed the recovery console.
My PC is a single OS win xp pro machine with P4 processor with 256 mb RAM and a n Intel D845GVSR motherboard.
I tried commands like FIXBOOT at the console but it has not helped much.
Desperately in need of help,please!!

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
In the quote box below are instructions on how to run a check of your hard drive and operating system files:

Do you have your windows XP CD? If you do, I want you to put it in and turn on your computer. When you are given the message press any key to boot from cd..., press a key and Windows Setup will start. At the first screen where you have to enter input, hit R to enter the Recovery Console. Then you will have to hit 1 to log into your windows installation and then just hit Enter for the Administrator password because it is normally blank unless you changed it. Once you are at the command prompt C:\WINDOWS I want you to type chkdsk /p /r. This will run a VERY THOROUGH check of both your hard drive and also your windows installation files and replace any that are missing/corrupt. Once it's done, type Exit and take out your Windows XP cd. Your computer will reboot itself.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 13 June 2006 - 06:37 AM.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
Hi (Fenor),
I followed your instructions and used xp cd to repair files using chkdsk /p /r command .After the scan got completed ,I exited the recovery cosole and it restarted the PC as you had said,but even after that,windows xp couldnt start in normal mode and I was again presented with the boot select menu with options like 'Safe mode','Safe mode with Networking' etc and the following message :

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous startup attempt was interupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

.I am really confused as to how to proceed. :whistling:
Help needed urgently,please....

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Disconnect everything from the tower, with the exception of the monitor, keyboard and mouse

You can use this guide to repair XP

Possibly, you will need to press the start button and keep tapping the delete key, (possibly F2) until the PC enters set up. Change the boot order to CD ROM Drive then hard drive, press F10 then press enter, load the XP CD then type Y then press enter, as it reboots, look for press any key to load from CD, press enter

You will need the XP product key to complete this

If you have audio / video files which are subject to DRM you should check with the provider for known issues with performing an XP repair install

XP Repair Install

Windows XP repair feature won't delete your data, installed programs, personal information, or settings. It just repairs the operating system

After running XP Repair you will need to install all Windows Updates

Microsoft Update

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I used the XP cd to repair the windows installation as you had said.After the files were copied, the installation didnt ask for CD key.Instead it restarted the PC.Now it does not display the type of boot(Safe mode,normal ,etc. ) screen.It first shows the Windows startup screen and then it displays the OS choice menu( no,I dont have any other OS installed,only the Recovery console that I used as per the other users' suggestion ) for a fraction of a second and then the screen goes blank for sometime and it again displays the Windows startup screen and the whole scene is repeated.This process continues.
Earlier I could enter safemode easily.Now when I press F8 and select Safemode,a dialog box titled 'Windows XP Setup' appears with the following information:

Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode.Setup will restart now.

Then,Windows restarts and the same cycle as mentioned in the first para above takes place.
Please help me get out of this mess without having to reinstall everything !

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Boot the PC to normal mode without the XP CD in

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I removed the XP cd to boot but the same problem still exists.It show the windows startup,and then it goes to OS selection menu and again returns to the startup screen.
It seems that something is still wrong with it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
When you are offered the chance to choose the OS to start, is there enough time to select the installed operating system rather than the setup? Can you boot to Safe Mode?

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
No ,it only flashes on the screen for a fraction of a sec.After that it goes back to the same windows starup screen and the whole thing repeats.
At the time when I posted my first post here,I was able to boot into safe mode ,but now after I tried to repair windows files using the XP cd (as suggested by Keith),I cant use safe mode;I mean when I select safe mode option I get the message

Windows XP Setup cannot run under Safemode.Setup will restart now.

When I click on OK int the dialog box,the system reboots.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try a couple of things in Recovery Console.

Boot to the cd. At the first screen, press R. Then select the operating system to repair (if prompted). At the Admin password prompt, press "Enter".

At the command prompt, type fixboot and press "Enter".
At the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press "Enter".

When told that the volume is busy, type Y and Press "Enter".
At the command prompt, type exit and press "Enter".

Reboot.

If this runs, it will be a long procedure...be patient. Let me know if you are able to complete these steps.

xp_even

xp_even

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts
I completed the scan using chkdsk /r but it did not tell me that the volume was busy so I did not have to press Y.When I ran the command two scans took place one after the another without my doing anything i.e. after the first scan showed 100% completion, another scan started and I waited till it got completed.

Then after that nothing happened so I typed exit at the prompt and windows rebooted.Then the same startup screen followed by OS select screen appeared.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's run another repair on this thing.

Boot to the CD. At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press "Enter". Accept the license agreement (F8). Select the operating system you want to repair and press R. If you have more than one listed, post what they are here for me.

Once the repair completes and before you install any updates or applications, let me know how it runs. We'll run some checks on the HDD before we get too much on there.