Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Event 51 occurs for 1 specific file

• Please log in to reply

incredidome

incredidome

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I am experiencing a very odd problem. I can reproduce it consistently. I have never experienced a potential HDD problem before.

It deals with the zipped file in the location below and is an issue on my 80GB External IOMEGA HDD.

G:\Work files\videos.rar

In the .rar file I have a file called: project1\ambience.avi

videos.rar is over 500MB in size with many different files, and ambience.avi is 30MB.

With Windows XP, whenever I try to copy this zipped folder, the copy function freezes when it reaches the file ambience.avi, and stalls for 5 minutes. After the 5 minutes, it resumes as normal, finishes the process, then I look to the copy destination folder and the copy is not there as would be expected.

I then check my Event Viewer, under Administrative Tools, and find 10-20 (amount varies) entries of:

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Disk
Event Category: None
Event ID: 51
Date: 6/12/2006
Time: 8:25:08 PM
User: N/A

Description:
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

These entries appear immediately after the 5 minute stall.

The error is persistent. If I try to extract the ambience.avi file, scan it with Norton, Windows Defender, ect., the same error occurs. Any process involving this file stalls my system for 5 minutes and logs the Event 51 error.

What could be wrong with this single file? I have checked, and no other files on my PC (all 3 drives) fail during a copy process. ambience.avi is the only one that does this!

ambience.avi is not even its own separate file--its compressed within videos.rar...

From googling Event 51, it hints that the drive is dying, but what puzzles me is only this 30MB has a problem. All of my other .avi files work perfectly.

I've checked the disk for errors (returned nothing) and not sure what this problem is.

Anyone have any ideas? Is the drive going bad? Is this one particular file some freak accident?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
The file within the archive is corrupt

I would extract all the other files, delete the file with the corrupt ambience, then recreate the folder and not worry about it.