Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow Running XP

• Please log in to reply

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you could, please ATTACH a hijackthis log (see my signature for download)

ATTACH ATTACH ATTACH

I want to see what is running in the background

Advertisements

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi. there you go. I noticed I have some symantec files on my computer. Im sure you noticed them too. I dont have noroton anymore so maybe that could be causing it? Anyway, just let me know what i need to do. thanks

Attached Files

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah, I got an Advice, don't listen to coincidence.
Almost all WinXP systems will work slower after half a year at least.
Anybody can say that it isn't true what I'm saying, but I know I'm right in this.
A frequently used computer will make registry keys, which gulp up some ram and resources. Fonts take up ram and resources.
Explorer could be infected by a keylogger...
It's possible that the heatwave in the Netherlands is causing it.
*OFFTOPIC*
it's a damned 32 degrees Celcius here >_< FRIGGIN' HOT!!
*ONTOPIC*
But seriously, all pc's tend to mess up sooner or later. Programs just aren't written perfect and there are leaks that take up more and more ram and resources.

But here is some Advice: You could defrag your harddisk.
Start -> Programs -> Accesoires -> System tools -> Disk Defragment.
It should look something like this.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Moved some posts to malware because they include removal advice

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

Extract, run.Go to VIEW > SHOW Fractional CPU usage
Make sure it is checked.

Look in the CPU column and relate what is consuming your CPU time

If you can a screencapture would be useful

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Ok, it seems to be working a little better now. I got rid of a few programs that i wasnt using. I also shut down "Tea-Timer" and my Daemon tools. however, sometimes I will just click an .exe file and it will take forever to load. actually it happened with this tool that you gave me. I had to restart the computer because once I clicked the file to extract it, it basicly never loaded and froze. Anyway, after restarting, I ran it. I got a screenshot of what it looks like while I am running my typicial programs. Hope this helps some.

Attached Thumbnails

• CPU_Usage.JPG

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
nothing in your screen cap seems out of order

every once in a while, I find that zone alarm goes a little buggy scanning everything and everything multiple times resulting in extreme slow downs

Just as a test, go to add/remove and remove zonelarm then reboot (you can reinstall later)

does the issue repeat

CB_Epyon

CB_Epyon

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi, sorry for the long wait. I didnt actually uninstall zone alarm, however, i have tried once just shutting it down. I then turned on my windows firewall. i browsed the net, used programs, watched vidoes and listened to music with no problems. so it must be zone alarm. I think the problem is, it keeps doing this thing, saying that it needs to connect to the internet , click yes or no. I keep clicking yes but every 5 minutes or so it does it again. so should i uninstall zone alarm and reinstall and see if it keeps happening? I may just try to find a new virus scanner. I would like an all in one program , that does spyware, and is a firewall as well. Can you suggest a program like this? a free one would be great, but I am willing to purchase one too, if it is worth it. I had norton 2005 and wasnt very impressed, as it couldnt get rid of certain spyware problems and sometimes couldnt get rid of certain trojans. Is norton 2006 much bettter? Any suggestions would be appericated and thanks for the advice.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not a fan of all in ones--they tend to do all jobs half way and are more prone to issues due ot complexity

On a standard machine, meaning my life does not depend on it if a proiblem arises, just about everything can be accomplished with freeware.

They are pretty much all here
http://www.geekstogo...?showtopic=2852