Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sounds, speech, and audio devices

• Please log in to reply

sjtballa4life

sjtballa4life

• Pip
  • 3 posts
As you've probably already noticed the title of this topic I'm pretty sure you may already have some suggestions. My audio is not working at all no sound from a CD or windows alert sounds. I've tried a lot of things, but some people on here might know more so feel free to help me out. Thanks.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
telling us what you tried would be very helpful so we needn't cover old ground

ajcool123

ajcool123

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
Hey sjt welcome,

It would definitely help to hear all the things you have tried so were not giving you advice that you have already tried! :whistling:

sjtballa4life

sjtballa4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I troubleshooted every single hardware piece I have in the Hardware tab of the sounds and audio devices properties thinking that would be my problem. But no solution has come. I really don't feel like typing out everything. If you're going to say something I've already tried I will run it again. Better safe then sorry.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Translation: I don't feel like typing it out, I'd rather you guys waste your time helping me to redo things I already did.

I'm sure you did not mean it that way, but that's the way it sounds.

It also forces us to assume you are completely clueless, which puts us in a potentially insulting relationship. For example, my first suggestion is that you check to make sure the speakers are plugged in.

That seems extraordinarily obvious, and might be insulting to you--and I do not want to do that, but with no information from you we have to assume you are completely incapable.

I don't like to treat people that way and would prefer to think your more competent than that. But, here we go

Did you check to see if the speakers were plugged in?

sjtballa4life

sjtballa4life

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
headphones and speakers are useless when plugged in.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

Please scroll down to Sound and Videogame controllers

Do you see any yellow exclamations or red Xs?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
any luck there?

Kwikdraw

Kwikdraw

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, 1st post here but I seem to be having the same problem.

1. couple days ago, the sound suddenly quit
2. Onboard Audio Sigmatel .

device manager says hardware working properly

In the properties of the sound device states:
"driver is enabled but has not been started"

have tried several things, uninstall, disable, disable in bios, reset CMOS, even took a SB card from another PC installed and still the same.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks,
KD

Caracas

Caracas

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
@ Kwikdraw

1. Chek if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices) - should be listed there!
2. If it is not there then we will probably solve it!
3. Locate "machine.inf" on your OS, copy it somewhere and modify it (find "ExcludeFromSelect=*" and remove the line or simply exclude it from processing by adding a ";" at the beginning)
4. Check the "machine.inf" file for location where SWENUM should be located (mine was reading: SWENUM.CoInstallers.CopyFiles = 11 ; %windir%\System32)
5. Find "swenum.sys" file on your XP installation CD (mine was in DRIVER.CAB) and copy it to the proper location (I am not sure if it is necessary but worked for me)
6. Go to Control Panel /Ad HW and follow the wizard towards manual selection of device to be added
7. Select Add System device
8. Select Have disk
9. Navigate to changed machine.inf
10. from the list select standard deviecs (in the left list) and "Plug and Play Software Enumerator" in the right list
11. Finish the installation

Dieseldame

Dieseldame

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi - I am new as of today so please forgive me if my manners aren't correct....

Recently, I too, had sound problems. I did not have system sounds, couldn't listen to videos people would send to me. Long story short...I did some research and found that sometimes the CODECs are missing or screwed up. So I downloaded K-lite Codec Pack standard, ran the Codec Tweak Tool and selected fixes [Registry] fix non-working system sound. To give credit, this was posted by cviko_m on the forum. It worked for me too.

Try www.free-codecs.com

I also so something about trying to increase low volume on there but can't find it. I just found this site and was delighted by the tutorials.

Thank you all for help you give us mere mortals! :whistling:

emery

emery

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts
Kwikdraw,

Please start a new topic with your problem in this forum so things don't get confused in the same topic.
This will get you more direct replies to your problem.

Thanks for understanding. :whistling:

Kwikdraw

Kwikdraw

• Pip
  • 2 posts

@ Kwikdraw

1. Chek if PnP SW Enumerator is installed on your machine (Device Manager / System devices) - should be listed there!
2. If it is not there then we will probably solve it!
3. Locate "machine.inf" on your OS, copy it somewhere and modify it (find "ExcludeFromSelect=*" and remove the line or simply exclude it from processing by adding a ";" at the beginning)
4. Check the "machine.inf" file for location where SWENUM should be located (mine was reading: SWENUM.CoInstallers.CopyFiles = 11 ; %windir%\System32)
5. Find "swenum.sys" file on your XP installation CD (mine was in DRIVER.CAB) and copy it to the proper location (I am not sure if it is necessary but worked for me)
6. Go to Control Panel /Ad HW and follow the wizard towards manual selection of device to be added
7. Select Add System device
8. Select Have disk
9. Navigate to changed machine.inf
10. from the list select standard deviecs (in the left list) and "Plug and Play Software Enumerator" in the right list
11. Finish the installation

:whistling:

CARACAS,

God bless ya brother.........worked like a charm.

Sorry took so long to try it and reply..........work got in the way :blink:

One thing I may add is that swenum.sys file was in several locations on my machine but I only needed to put the new one from sys cab disk in i386 drivers directory. Also do not uninstal the device 1st and then let the machine look for it, cause you will never get the opportunity to install manually. At least that was my experience.

And to Emery, sorry i didn't move this to be a new topic, but didn't know how to move the 3 posts, I do understand though. Perhaps an administartor could move it. Sorry to be such a pain in A__ on my first try, but I'll get better.

CARACAS, thanks again

Sincerely..............KD