Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP desktop problems

• Please log in to reply

arnold187

arnold187

• Pip
  • 3 posts
The desktop on my son's computer is corrupted. The right third of it is taken up by an information panel similar to what you would see if you opened "my computer" although the choices listed are different. The rest of the desktop reacts normally to dektop controls. For example right clicking on the desk top brings up the Properties controls and everything works other than the left third of the desktop remains frozen with the same panel. He says he has run antivirus and adware programs with no change. I presume there is a registry setting to reset the desktop but I have no idea what it is. Or is this a known malware issue?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Have you got a screenshot?

arnold187

arnold187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a screenshot of the desktop.

Attached Thumbnails

• screen_shot.jpg

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the screenshot

If you right click the desktop, click properties then settings, what have you got for resolution and colour quality, on the same tab, click advanced, click monitor, what is the refresh rate

Does the monitor have a reset button, (which make and model monitor do you have?)

Do you know which make and model video card you have?

arnold187

arnold187

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
This is a Samsung LCD panel running on an ATI 9700 card at the native resolution of the monitor at the monitor optimal refresh rate. There is no problem with the monitor which functions fine when connected to another computer.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you have SP2 and .net framework installed, update / re-install the video card drivers