Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ANOTHER slow running XP

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
My XP sp1 pc has been really slow recently. Wen i checked my C drive n clicked propwerties it sed msot of the hard drive wos used up except 2gb so bout 38gb used up. but if i double click into c drive n select all (with hidden files viewable) then it says its only 24gb. so where is this other 14gb gone? n could that b reasons its slowin down?

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Click on Start | Run, type prefetch then press enter, in the edit menu, click select all, right click any file then click delete, and confirm the delete.

Click Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools to run Disc Cleanup, then from System Tools, run Disk Defragmenter.

Click on Start | Run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD and Windows File Protection will show a blue onscreen progress bar. When this finished, reboot.

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp DiskCleaner. Delete all junk files. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Clean up & Repair. Run TuneUp RegistryCleaner. Fix all errors. Afterwords, return to the Main Screen.

Click on Optimize & Improve. Run TuneUp RegistryDefrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. Now click on Accelerate downloads and Internet surfing to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, start Tune Up again. Click on Optimize & Improve then click on TuneUp System Optimizer. In the menu to the left called "Wizards", choose System Advisor. Note some of the advice it tells you.

Let me know if that helps any.