Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

evil turnin of pc

• Please log in to reply

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
I have a pc that is windows 2000. and Its a pc i got from my dads company who were getting rid of there pcs. but it does have a tendency to turn itself off automatically if u dont do anything for 30mins n stuff n i think it mite be cos the company would have had that installed to reduce the needless pcs on. but if that is so i wouldnt no how to turn that timer off.

or could it b something else?

Advertisements

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
Does the computer actually shut off, or does it hibernate or go into standby mode?

Edited by fructose, 13 June 2006 - 10:48 AM.

thero_cpd

thero_cpd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
it actually restarts. there is a program which i know for a fact is clean n nothing bad bout it but wen i use that it automatically shuts the pc down, actually i've neva tried running much on this pic other than internet n msn. dont even use media player n stuff on it so maybe it just doesnt like certin programs, who knows. its a picky pc :whistling:

fructose

fructose

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 284 posts
It sounds like there's a problem with that program that is causing the system to have an error and reboot.

What program are you using?

Also, you may want to check the power settings. Go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options and see if Hibernate or Standby are set to a particular time.

Finally, right-click on My Computer and pick Properties. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck Automatically Restart. That will show you any error screen that you are getting. Write the error down and tell me what it is.