Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphic card

• Please log in to reply

icer

icer

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
hello,
I have a dell dimension 2400 2.4gzh with I believe shared graphics card. it is intel®82845G GL/GE/PE?GV
I think the graphics is going to the wall because on startup all you get is shimmering fuzz before it calms down.
Anyway it will not run Sims 2 so wish to upgrade, and put in a graphics card.. ran dell upgrade and the site gave three options. saphire 64mb ati radeon pci ddr. 2) geforce fx5500 128mb pci ddr 3) geforce 6200 128mb pci ddr

does anyone have an opinion on these cards or indeed any others that would be suitable for my system.. it would not have to run anything more taxing than Sims 2

I gather it would have to be pci but over and above that what else do i have to bear in mind

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, that system must be a PCI card, and therefore you are already behind the 8 ball

#3 is the best choice, but even that will struggle with Sims 2

Everything I read about Sims 2 says it is more CPU dependent than gpu dependent, but I can tell you from experience the game just chunks along on even high end systems

I have a very low opinion of the Sims and it's performance requirements

icer

icer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
As i mentioned the system is fairly low spec 2.4 ghz celeron 256mb ram using 1 dimm slot, one spare.
not much i can do about processor speed, but could i suppose increase ram a bit
I am I suppose slightly confused with the whole thing concerning the graphic cards. I assume that the only card available is PCI. Are there any other variables that I need to consider. Is ddr a factor or is it of no matter. & PCIE is that a NO NO.. Would a 256 card make No Difference, or should i hike up the ram.
I need to get my daughter off my computer onto this one.
thanx in anticipation.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this system will not accept an agp or pci-e card because it lacks the interface for it.

The more memory the better on board the video card, but I have not seen a PCI card with more than 128mb, but I have not looked too hard.

DDR is just a kind of ram--you cannot put ddr2 ram in this system--it is not compatible

More SYSTEM memory would likely help this system, but as I recall it only has two slots, so remember that when upgrading

And you probably can update that CPU if you really want to, but 2.4 ought to do SIMS 2.

icer

icer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
thank you for your help

HaraldR

HaraldR

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
Icer, Just quick note Sims 2 plus all expansion packs will run easily on a
University,Nightlife,HolidayPack,Open for Business
AMD Duron 1200(850Mhz) 1024Mb Sdram, MSI Geforce4 MX440 64MbsSDRam
(which is the minimum requirements)

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah Herald, you need a 64 MB Videocard... Which is NOT an onboard card...
The onboard card in the system of Icer is 32 MB shared. Which means it's leeching it's 32 MB ram from the system ram.
Icer could verify this, by pressing Windowskey+Break

Windows key is between Left CTRL and Left ALt.
Break key is left of Numlock on standard keyboards.

If I am right, you should have 224 MB ram, not 256.
If you do have 256, then you got a special onboard videocard ment for the early games. (Doom, Duke Nukem, etc.)

Anyway, this isn't the point. The man wants help on how to run Sims 2.

Expensive solution:
Buy a new system.
Asus PCI-E A8N Deluxe
AMD Athlon 64, 4400+ ×2 @2200 Mhz, Toledo
2× 1024 MB G-skill DualChannel, @400 Mhz DDR.
ATI XT 1600 256 MB DDR, @600 Mhz.
2× 186 gig 10K RPM Raptor Western Digital.

This would be one of the fastest pc's on the planet. You could get 10K points on 3d'06 Benchmark with this setup. (Not joking, I've seen it happening hehe)

Cheap solution:
Go to the computer store and ask if they got a Trident 64 left. That card is the absolute minimum possible for Sims 2 to work.
Or ask for their cheapest 64 MB PCI card.

Hmmm, on the other hand, PCI won't be enough for Sims 2 I believe... You would have to put ALL settings on lowest and that makes game-play extremely crappy.

Go for a cheaper AGP motherboard with cheap videocard or pre-assembled AGP motherboard.
There also are PCI-E motherboards available for less than €100. Motherboard, processor and videocard I mean.
Complete PCI-E systems are usually about 200 bucks. But those are slow... VERY slow, but strong enough for Sims 2.

PCI-E is PCI-Express.
It's 16 times faster than PCI.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it really is more than the video card, though

I have tested sims 2 on a athlon 64 3200 with a pci-e nvidia 6800xt and 512mb of pc3200 ram and the thing still behaves poorly

Sims games run poorly because the emphasis is always on spitting out new expansion packs and never on making the game work right. It takes gobs of memory and cpu cycles to track all the sims you do not see, and the graphics code is incredibly bloated. The above sytem runs halflife2, doom3 and other programs without a hiccup, but Sims2 it struggles with

icer

icer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
have found a graphics card the 3dfuzion geforce fx5500 256mb pci it says that it requires a pci 2.0 slot. what is one of those and do i have one?
can also increase ram by another 512
will this all be enough to run sims 2

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I want to clear up any confusion....

Yes, it will run sims2--technically, your old onboard video should run it-just not well

I would still opt for the 6200 if you can find it.

I do not know how much ram you have in your system, but if you have 512mb already, I find little difference in performance between 512 and 1gb when it comes to that game, but since the onboard video is stealing memory, more might help.

Really, the only advice I can give about the sims is to use the latest video drivers, shut down all non-essential background services, turn off some of the Sims 2 eye -candy (cutting shadows makes a nig difference), and patchign the game