Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Group Policy

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I am using windows server 2003 with the GPO editor. I am looking to make all users log off after a certeing time interval like 20 mins. Is there a way in GP to set a timeout like that? I cannot find one, any help would be great.

Thank You

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
like....log off log off....or have it to where the user(or administrator) has to enter their password to UNLOCK the session?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
it doesnt need to get log offed completely, but maybe more like when you lock a screen. Make the user log back in from a locked screen. I dont want a complete log off that kills apps running. Does this make any sense?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i believe you do that by setting a password on the screen saver so in group policy under user settings / administrative templates / control panel / display/
you would configure them all to have the same screen saver (like starfeild) set the timeout for it then password protect it

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I thought about that, set a time limit for the screen saver, then force a re-logon from screen saver. I mean thats one way to go but i was hoping they had an option just to say, after 20 mins the computer gets locked. I may be reaching but it would be a nice feature to use if they had it.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's exactly what password protecting the screensaver does (in an AD environment) it locks the user account....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
that's the method that i use here at work...works great...person get's up...leaves for 5 minutes..come's back...computer's locked out and they have to log back in

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Like I said, it is a good solution. When you press the windows key + L it brings up a login window, thats what i was hoping they had a option for.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Ok, I am going to go ahead and set it that way. I appreciate the help.

Thank You