Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow at startup and running programs..

• Please log in to reply

Ailiniel

Ailiniel

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This have all occured after I've installed Zone Alarm and AVG, both have slowed down my computer a lot. So I decided to uninstall them. But the problem persists.

I've tried disabling most of the startup programs, disk cleanup, disk defragmenter, scan disk, registry mechanic, virus/spyware scanning, and uninstalling unnessessary files. Yet, programs are continuing to startup/run very slow. Which leads to freezing and crashing, forcing me to push the power button to turn the computer off. Sometimes the computer starts up but the screen remains black and I have to press the power botton again to turn it off, which I know is really unhealthy. Later on whenever I start the computer, a word pops up about a failed hard drive and asks me to press F10 to boot or go to computer set up.

I am using crappy ol Windows Me.

:whistling:

Edited by Ailiniel, 13 June 2006 - 12:01 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Ailiniel...

How long ago did you first install the Zone Alarm and AVG? Can you use System Restore (Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools) to go back to just before they were originally installed?

You should also run ScanDisk (also in System Tools), selecting the "Thorough" option and selecting the "Automatically fix errors" checkbox. It will take quite a while to run this, be patient.

Your hard drive may be wanting a permanent vacation. :whistling:

wannabe1

Ailiniel

Ailiniel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Yes I've already tried the thorough scanning and fixing. But it didn't work.

I don't have any Restore Points for System Restore. =(

Edited by Ailiniel, 13 June 2006 - 09:13 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Please download and install HiJackThis. Run it on the machine and save a log to your desktop. Attach the log to your next reply...this will allow me to see whats running on there.

Ailiniel

Ailiniel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
This is what I got...

Attached Files

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That was only part of the log, but it was enough to show me at least part of the problem. Your machine is infected with malware. :whistling:

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself...then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Be patient, the Malware Forum is a very busy place and a two or three day wait is not unusual. DO NOT REPLY TO OR BUMP YOUR OWN LOG. If it shows a reply it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Ailiniel

Ailiniel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Really? How do I scan the whole thing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Open the HJT log on your desktop (or whereever you saved it to) and right click in the text area. Choose "Select All". Right click again and choose "Copy" (or press Ctrl + C). Open a reply here, right click in the text area, and choose "Paste" (or press Ctrl + V). The log should end with entries beginning with 023.

You'll definitely want to have the experts in malware help you with this. Follow the instructions available by clicking the link in my previous reply...then post a log in the Malware Forum.

Ailiniel

Ailiniel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks a lot for your help. =) The log didn't end with 023. Just 016.