Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Close background apps before game starts & restart them after exit

• Please log in to reply

manu08

manu08

• PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
I usually close much of my running applications, especially the ones hiding away in the system tray before I play a game that would require much of the cpu so that I could get the best performance, games like F.E.A.R. & BF2. Anyway its rather annoying to close all the applications before running the game & then reopen the applications after I've stopped playing the game. Any software that could basically do that procedure for you ? Like close the applications you tell it to before the game starts & then reopen them after the game has been exited ?
I don't know if this is of any importance but, I've got, Pentium 4 3.00GHz with HT, 1.5GB RAM, 256MB (AGP) Radeon X800XL graphics card & am running Windows XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In all honesty if you have to close a lot of background programs on a machine of that specification in order to get something to run at a decent speed, you've got a whole different problem altogether.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, you shouldnt have that many anyway you will find many apps dont need to be running in the background at all, just disable them from the startup and turn them on when you need them. Really all that should be running is your AV, hardware utilities and drivers if needed, and maybe a messenger but most of those have a low footprint so turning them off makes little difference.