Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot log in to FTP or CPanel

• Please log in to reply

dovemouse

dovemouse

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have a hosting with a CPanel admin log in (http://steve.aihosting.co.uk). I can also access this via an FTP Client. On one of my PCs it works fine but on the other two it comes up with 'This Page Cannot be Displayed'....GRRRRR!!
Also FTP doesn't work. I am not the administrator on the PCs and it may be the fact that i am using Norton Internet Security.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
When did you first notice this problem? Norton isn't the culprit, more than likely, so don't try to reset it or uninstall it. Are you an admin on the PC that your FTP works on? Do you have XP Home or Pro? Can you ask the admin of the two pcs to check your ftp permissions?

Johanna

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hmm, i think it was when the PC accounts were created. Is the CPanel just the same as FTP? Yes i could change the permissions, but i don't think he knows how. :whistling:

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
No, cPanel and FTP are not the same. cPanel is a service provided by a webhost, and FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol which is how you upload files to the internet for a website. Check Norton to be sure that Port 21 is enabled.

Can you FTP through Internet Explorer? If I type in a website's numerical address with ftp instead of http as the prefix, IE prompts me for my user name and password. I can then log on to the server where my site's files are stored. IE is rather awkward for this, so I use another software (CuteFTP) but give IE a try for diagnostic purposes.

Johanna

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No luck with the IE FTP thing but i didn't think that would work. I do not have the privilages to check if the port is enabled but i shall do that later and get back to you.
Thanks.

dovemouse

dovemouse

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
It is XP Home. I do i check if the port is enabled?