Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Sloooww Start

• Please log in to reply

dpends

dpends

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Windows Start up time is in the 2 minutes plus range. It seems to take forever.
The computer is a 1.8 Toshiba MX40 Laptop with 1 gig of Ram plus an additonal 128mg of Dedicated (extra) Video ram.
I have done Anti-Virus, plus Ad-aware and spyware checks to see if any concerns existed there. Clean.
Am hesitant to tangle with more Without a little help from ... you who know more.
Assistance would be appreciated.

Advertisements

h_mike

h_mike

• PipPipPip
  • 344 posts
Well look down at your toolbar, do you have a bunch of start up icons? Thats just a start, lets get more detailed...

1.) Run Disk Clean-Up
2.) Run Disk Defragmenter
3.) Run CHDSK Utility
4.) Clean Prefetch, which is located in this path C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

*NOTE: cleaning Prefetch is only advised for a maximum times of once a month. Cleaning Prefetch too many times can cause issues.

If your computer is still more sluggish then normal, come back and we'll further help you.

*NOTE: I am not a staff member, even though im trying to become one here, but I've had this issue before, and this does work sometimes.

Hayabusa_Mike

Edited by hayabusa_mike, 13 June 2006 - 03:59 PM.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Thank you Mike; will get started.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Mike, I do not have either installed presently but it would only take 'a bit' to install them. Suggest one and I will move to it.
So far, have done disk clean up and defrag said it was not necessary.
Forgot how to do chkdsk (from Run c:/chkdsk ...???) or how to clean "prefetch.

dpends

dpends

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Mike,
Installed Yahoo messenger.