Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Added new CD/DVD RW drive but XP doesn't recognize

• Please log in to reply

rsqrdh

rsqrdh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Just added a new Sony cd/dvd RW drive to my dell 8200 dimension computer. Removed the current cd rw drive and plugged in the new drive in its place. Started machine up and XP recognized new hardware. Went through with the wizard, but doesn't have an option for it, and definitely does not recognize the drive. Also, know that the drive removed had a jumper key installed on the cable select, and I think my new drive was set to master. does this matter? Please advise!

ciao for now
Rick

Advertisements

cheathawk1

cheathawk1

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
First, yes the jumpers do matter, in fact thats probably whats causing the problem. If your old one had it set to cable select, then your new one should too. Take it out and set it to CS, then put it back in and Windows should recognize it and have an icon in "My Computer" for it.

--Chris

Edited by cheathawk1, 13 June 2006 - 07:56 PM.

rsqrdh

rsqrdh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Chris

thanks for the post. I will try that and post back to let folks know if it worked or not...

see ya
Rick