Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to disable "Unplug or Eject" for specific HD ?

• Please log in to reply

Woyh

Woyh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I know SATA drives are supposedly "almost-hot-swappable", so displaying them in the "Unplug or eject hardware" Icon in the tray makes some sense. I don't have problems with this when using a USB flash and having to select it properly to stop it before yanking it out.
However...other users of this computer do have that problem. I had a hard time making them understand it was best to stop the USB flash drive...now they just try stopping a new SATA drive too...and then when they can't things go bad.

I read a number of posts, googled the the questions and everything, but I didn't find the answer to this. I just can't hide the icon completely, nor can I leave things as they are. Is there a way to:
a.)Hide only the SATA disk from "unplug or eject"
OR
b.)Designate the SATA drive as not mobile ... so it wouldn't be displayed there in the first place

The computer runs Win2K SP4 and is based on Nforce4 Ultra....Nforce atapi drivers ARE installed ( I know MS atapi drivers fix this,...or better put, don't produce this, but I've tested drive performance and I it really makes a difference for me)

Any help is appreciated

Edited by Woyh, 13 June 2006 - 04:20 PM.

Advertisements