Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Overclocking

• Please log in to reply

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have done A LOT of modding to my computer. Now, I want to know how to overclock my processor. I have an AMD Sempron 2200. Any help will be appreciated, thanks!

Advertisements

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Didn't you get a cd with it with mobo (Motherboard) utilities... All mobo's of the last 2 years have that kind of cd and it contains overclock utilities, sound drivers network drivers, etc etc...

If you have an MSI mobo, it's called CoreCenter.
Asrock also has one, but I forgot it's name and I'm too lazy to google.
If you have an Asus mobo, it's overclock utility is Asus Probe.
Just in case your a performance hunter without a shell... Asus Probe needs a place where to dump his systemtray icon or it won't boot... I already mailed them about that stupid problem. Because overclocking is done by performance hunters and that kind of people always throw away their shells when they get a new pc.

Hope this helped you a bit.

Edited by IO-error, 14 June 2006 - 05:38 AM.

woohoofulness

woohoofulness

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Yeah, well; I'm a kid and im not rich... I built my computer about 3 years ago, I think. I cant remember wat kind of mobo, and im too lazy to look, but my sempron doesnt run at 2200 and i've nvr had enough iniative to change it. I run a dual boot win XP/Ubuntu

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
In the BIOS you can also overclock your cpu.
But I am warning you, massive heat is made and you'd better cool it down properly.
When you overclock the FSB is increased, which will give more power to the CPU, which then calculates at a higher speed. That makes heat and a lot of heat will destroy the machine.
Your safe to overclock for at least 200 Mhz without extensive damage or damage at all.
I clocked my DualCore 4400+ (@2200) to 2431 Mhz, but I have to admit, the difference is only like half a second or less. Which is still a huge prize, compared to the fact that I use no extra cooling. If I go any further, the system crashes because the ram is bad. So you have to watch that too.
The only way is to experiment. Just overclock with 2 or 3 FSB at a time.
If you want a stable machine, also overclock the ram, or you'll get negative delta times in the system and that creates a crash.

K, now how to overclock:
In the BIOS there is an option that says Power Management.
Somewhere over there, there are overclock warnings and functions.
Just increase the FSB with a few, reboot, check if it's still running.
Increase the FSB a bit more.

I think Sempron's aren't ment for overclocking.
But it's your choice, if you still want to overclock your system even though you know there isn't much to gain, go ahead.

Tips:
1. IF you got the choice to overclock ram or fsb in ram, do so, ONLY IF YOU GOT GOOD COOLING!
2. I don't want to be the one who wrecked your system with my tips.
So don't blame me if you burn your CPU.
3. Don't go further than 20 FSB. I think your ram will put a stop on it, if you don't overclock your ram too. I bought bad ram on purpose, so I can't clock my expensive system to a piece of charcoal. If you are a performance hunter, buy top G-skill ram of 400 Mhz and clock your system to the max.

4, How to know the max:
You can know what the max is by downloading a heatmeter for your motherboard, or Everest Home (http://home.deds.nl/~dgsp/everest.html).
Put the FSB 5 higher each time and keep the system running for about 5 hours, each 5-10 minutes checking the heat. (if the heat didn't increase for about 4 checks, then increase that check-time by 20 minutes).
5, When to stop:
Depends on how long you want your system to live.
If you want your system to run day and night for weeks, don't overclock at all.
If you want your system to be able to run for 10-12 hours at a time, just make sure it NEVER reaches more than 50 degrees celcius. And that is playing safe.
If you just need your system to run for about 2-3 hours, you could let it run at 55 degrees celcius, because that much heat SHOULDN'T hurt your pc that much. (Don't blame/accuse me if this heat burns your system, I'm not talking out of my own experiences with these heats, because my CPU's NEVER reaches that heat)

My own pc is clocked for 2431, but the heat is never higher than 38 degrees. I will go overclock further when I finally buy new ram, better cooling and most important: Get UnrealTournament 2007 :whistling:

***EDIT***
Deleted grammer mistakes and added this line

Edited by IO-error, 16 June 2006 - 01:45 AM.